The Downtown Tupelo Main Street Association held its annual meeting this morning, recognizing the achievements of the organization during the past year and those who contributed to those efforts.
Award winners this year:
- Best Special Event: All American Picnic in the Park- 4th of July Celebration
- Best Downtown Public Improvement: BancorpSouth Arena
- Best Business Promotion: Caron Gallery’s Art Openings and Artist Demonstrations
- Best of Design: Reed’s and Jessica Black
- Elvis Festival “Can to Can’t”: Carr Sams & Rachel Etheridge
- Volunteer of the Year: Tammy Rodgers
- Board Member of the Year: Blair Hughes
- Entrepreneur of the Year: Jason and Amanda Hayden, owners of Café 212
- Special Service Award: Jan Miller
Other items of note: Since 1991, more than $142 million has been invested in downtown Tupelo ($45 million public, $97 million private). For this year to date, more than $1.8 million has been invested.
And, in comments at the meeting, Mayor Jason Shelton said the Oleput festival may make a return next year. Talks are strictly preliminary, and nothing is definite. Dates and sponsorships have to be considered, among other things. We’ll have to see where it goes.