WEST POINT – William R. “Billy” Hamlin, 71, passed away on Monday, Dec. 17, 2012, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle in Columbus. He was born Oct. 29, 1941, in Clay County to Margie Lee Willis and William Rooker Hamlin. He was a butcher, and the owner and operator of Hamlin’s Grocery in West Point for 34 years. He was a member of West End Baptist Church. He was a 1961 graduate of West Point High School and a United States Navy veteran of the Vietnam War. He married Wanda Byrd Hamlin on June 12, 1982, in West Point.
Services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel in West Point with the Rev. R.C. Bryan officiating. Burial will follow in Greenwood Cemetery in West Point. Calvert Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include his wife, Wanda B. Hamlin of West Point; three daughters, Alisa Massey (Kent) and Melinda J. Hadley, all of Kissimmee, Fla., and Stacy Riley (Andy) of West Point; three sons, Chris Hamlin (Angela) of Kissimmee, Fla., Alan Easter (Sha) of Becker and Jason Easter of West Point; 12 grandchildren, Justin Hadley, Jamie Massey, Kenterra Massey, Caleb Easter, Danielle Riley, Zachery Easter, Katie Easter, Lacy Riley, Drake Riley, Drew Riley, Madi Easter and Marli Easter; one great-granddaughter, Bella Hadley; two sisters, Mary Emma Hamlin of Panama City, Fla., and Marie Kelley (Olen) of West Point; and one brother, Buddy Hamlin of West Point.
Pallbearers will be Jeff Harlow, Gary Golson, Joe McMillian, Robert Pittman, Mac Steadman and Alan (Abele) Pennington.
Memorials may be made to Sally Kate Winters Home for Children, P.O. Box 1233, West Point, MS 39773; Fellowship Baptist Church, 1491 Frye Road, Starkville, MS 39759; or to the church of your choice.
Visitation will be from 9 to 10 a.m. Thursday at Calvert Funeral Home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- Gann named NFHS State Coach of Year February 24, 2017
- Teacher Academy February 24, 2017
- Hilltoppers are ready to roll February 24, 2017
- A Day Without Immigrants felt in Vardaman February 25, 2017
- Wildcats step up to the plate February 27, 2017
- College Day at HCTEC February 27, 2017
- Houlka moves forward with water works February 27, 2017
- Building a future with CET February 26, 2017
- WEDDING: Horn/Lluy February 26, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago