United Way needs are up
There are always people in need and that means Chickasaw County needs United Way now more than ever.
United Way provided $115,719 of assistance to 33 agencies serving people from Chickasaw County last year and those agencies have requested roughly $177,650 this year.
“Our goal this year is $2.3 million for United Way of North Mississippi,” said Shelia McCool, United Way representative for Chickasaw County. “We have raised roughly $2 million and are urging people not to forget United Way this Christmas season.”
McCool said it is no secret that donation are down and needs are up.
“We are at 95-percent of our goal and people can still give to United Way through January,” said McCool. “United Way has a long history in Northeast Mississippi and I have high hopes we will meet our goal by Christmas.”
The Chickasaw County United Way Allocation Committee met last week to begin the process of deciding the level of funding agencies will get.
“The Allocation Committee is the heart of United Way,” said McCool. “These are people from your community who know the local need, they know these agencies and they decide where the dollars go.”
McCool pointed out United Way donations raised in Chickasaw County are dispersed by the Chickasaw County Allocation Committee to the 33 agencies making requests.
McCool said only 1 percent of United Way donations go to administration and the rest is dispersed to local agencies.
Agencies on this year’s list are; American Red Cross, Autism Center of Tupelo, Boys amp& Girls Clubs of North MS, CATCH Kids, COPES – CDF Charities Inc., EXCEL Inc., Faith Haven, Family Resource Center of NEMS, Gardner-Simons Home for Girls, Girls Scouts, Habitat for Humanity of Houston, Hardin House, Hope Family Ministries, LIFE of Mississippi, Mission Okolona, NCADD, NMMC Camp Breathe EZZZE, NMMC Cancer Patient Fund, NMMC Diabetes Assistance Fund, NMMC Heart Patient Assistance Fund, NMMC Hospice Patient Assistance Fund, NMMC Social Work Patient Fund, North MS Kidney Foundation, Okolona Dollars for Scholars, Parkgate Pregnancy Clinic, Regional Rehabilitation Center, S.A.F.E., Sally Kate Winters Family Services, Salvation Army of Chickasaw County, Special Ed Bowling League, Survival Inc., Weston Reed Foundation and Women First.
The United Way 2011 Fundraising Campaign will close out in late January and the Allocation Committee will meet at that time to distribute funds. The deadline to request funds from United Way of Chickasaw County was Nov. 2.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago