LOCAL FOCUS: Houlka Food Store
Owner David Pearce said the business is so much more than a simple convenience store and he has always tried to offer that little something extra to make it a special place to do business.
“We have people who have been coming in here every day for 18 years like clockwork,” said Pearce. “They make us part of their morning as they head to work or part of their afternoon as they head home. Those people mean a lot to me and my business.”
Pearce said Houlka Food Store has the stuff you find at a typical convenience store: cokes, candy, potato chip, nabs and all those snacks and goodies that can make the day a little better.
“I don’t think people realize what all we do sell in here,” said Pearce. “We are sort of like the old neighborhood grocery. If you need it we probably sell it.”
And the Houlka Food Store also offers plate lunches at noon five days a week and a full restaurant on Friday and Saturday night.
“We are real proud of our steak and fish and it’s some of the best around,” said Pearce. “We can fix your steak just like you want it and offer you a good selection of side orders.”
And Houlka Food Store has a coffee crowd, too. The morning crowd holds “court” from 5:30 to 9:30 a.m. The afternoon bunch starts coming in about 3 p.m. to solve the world’s problems.
Houlka Food Store also offers gasoline and diesel at competitive prices that are often lower than surrounding communities.
“It’s easy to say we believe in service, but it really is a big part of our business,” said Pearce. “We work hard to earn your business and we work even harder to keep it.”
Local Focus is a regular business feature of the Chickasaw Journal. Locally owned businesses wanting to be included in Local Focus should call the Chickasaw Journal at 456-3771.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago