DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Chris Jones
Jones is large (6-foot-7, 255 pounds). He was also largely unknown coming into the season. He went from unknown to highly sought in a matter of months, from outside 247Sports’ rankings to No. 15 nationally.
“You get out what you put it. I say that all the time. I put in a lot. I got out a lot,” Jones said.
Jones feels like transferring schools caused him to stay off the radar. He had six tackles per game as a sophomore, then transferred to live with his sick grandmother. He played only six games as a junior at Houston as the MHSAA established his new residency.
He still led the team in tackles per game, 9.4, and had a team-second five sacks.
“When I went to Houston, things changed,” Jones said. “I started working hard, hitting the weight room.”
Jones committed to Mississippi State during the summer and led the Hilltoppers with more than 11 tackles per game, had 14 sacks and 49 hurries.
One of his 10 double-figure tackle games (13) came in a win against Bruce.
“He did what he usually does,” Bruce receiver Jay Jones said after the game. “He gets to the quarterback and stops the run.”
Jones is a basketball star, too. He led Houston with 14.8 points per game and made the North roster for the Mississippi Association of Coaches All-Star Game last season.
Other schools are still after him.
“Ole Miss – you know Ole Miss,” Jones said, then smiled.
He said Oklahoma and Nebraska have also made contact. He’ll play in the 2013 Under Armour All-America Game on Jan. 4 in St. Petersburg, Fla.
So far, he hasn’t given MSU fans anything to worry about.
“100 percent, 100 percent,” he said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago