DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Chris Jones
Jones is large (6-foot-7, 255 pounds). He was also largely unknown coming into the season. He went from unknown to highly sought in a matter of months, from outside 247Sports’ rankings to No. 15 nationally.
“You get out what you put it. I say that all the time. I put in a lot. I got out a lot,” Jones said.
Jones feels like transferring schools caused him to stay off the radar. He had six tackles per game as a sophomore, then transferred to live with his sick grandmother. He played only six games as a junior at Houston as the MHSAA established his new residency.
He still led the team in tackles per game, 9.4, and had a team-second five sacks.
“When I went to Houston, things changed,” Jones said. “I started working hard, hitting the weight room.”
Jones committed to Mississippi State during the summer and led the Hilltoppers with more than 11 tackles per game, had 14 sacks and 49 hurries.
One of his 10 double-figure tackle games (13) came in a win against Bruce.
“He did what he usually does,” Bruce receiver Jay Jones said after the game. “He gets to the quarterback and stops the run.”
Jones is a basketball star, too. He led Houston with 14.8 points per game and made the North roster for the Mississippi Association of Coaches All-Star Game last season.
Other schools are still after him.
“Ole Miss – you know Ole Miss,” Jones said, then smiled.
He said Oklahoma and Nebraska have also made contact. He’ll play in the 2013 Under Armour All-America Game on Jan. 4 in St. Petersburg, Fla.
So far, he hasn’t given MSU fans anything to worry about.
“100 percent, 100 percent,” he said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Preserving life, a little longer March 18, 2017
- Lady Rams fight for comeback win March 22, 2017
- Extra Innings! March 22, 2017
- McQuary throws in SEC tilt March 22, 2017
- Two arrested, charged in Clay County murders March 22, 2017
- Ribbon Cutting; Ava Michaels Boutique March 25, 2017
- Medical care answers for America March 25, 2017
- Truck recovered in Pontotoc March 24, 2017
- Manufacturing skills class offered March 24, 2017
- Houlka names new principal March 24, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago