First District Constable Billy Voyles will give six bicycles to six needy Chicksaw County youngsters for the eighth year in a row this Christmas.
“I give out three new bicycles to boys and three new bicycles to girls,” said Voyles. “They are different sizes for different ages.”
Voyles said he has been handing out “Billy Bikes” since he became constable in 1996. The bicycles are bought with his personal money and no tax dollars are used.
“In this business we see a lot of people who have come on hard time and who might not be able to have much of a Christmas this year,” said Voyles. “I know these people, and I assure you they go to deserving kids and families.”
Voyles said he typically picks a boy and girl from Houlka, Houston and Woodland. He said bikes are delivered on Christmas Eve and Voyles said he tells parents to just say Santa Claus brought it.
He pointed out the bikes are bought locally.
“I can’t tell you how excited these kids are to get a bicycle for Christmas,” said Voyles. “I tell people I was elected to serve the community and this is one of my favorite ways to make life a little better for those who don’t have much.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Samford names Herrod to Dean’s List July 20, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago