First District Constable Billy Voyles will give six bicycles to six needy Chicksaw County youngsters for the eighth year in a row this Christmas.
“I give out three new bicycles to boys and three new bicycles to girls,” said Voyles. “They are different sizes for different ages.”
Voyles said he has been handing out “Billy Bikes” since he became constable in 1996. The bicycles are bought with his personal money and no tax dollars are used.
“In this business we see a lot of people who have come on hard time and who might not be able to have much of a Christmas this year,” said Voyles. “I know these people, and I assure you they go to deserving kids and families.”
Voyles said he typically picks a boy and girl from Houlka, Houston and Woodland. He said bikes are delivered on Christmas Eve and Voyles said he tells parents to just say Santa Claus brought it.
He pointed out the bikes are bought locally.
“I can’t tell you how excited these kids are to get a bicycle for Christmas,” said Voyles. “I tell people I was elected to serve the community and this is one of my favorite ways to make life a little better for those who don’t have much.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- Gann named NFHS State Coach of Year February 24, 2017
- Teacher Academy February 24, 2017
- Hilltoppers are ready to roll February 24, 2017
- A Day Without Immigrants felt in Vardaman February 25, 2017
- Wildcats step up to the plate February 27, 2017
- College Day at HCTEC February 27, 2017
- Houlka moves forward with water works February 27, 2017
- Building a future with CET February 26, 2017
- WEDDING: Horn/Lluy February 26, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago