Police, firefighters ring for the less fortunate
Chickasaw County fire services and law enforcement challenged each other to see who could raise the most money to help the less fortunate during Christmas and throughout the year through the Kettle campaign with bragging rights to include dealing out a pie-in-the-face to a member of the losing team.
They almost didn’t have a winner at all.
Combined, the two teams raised over $4,000 and were separated in their collections by only $10.60. The fire service raised $2,010.59 while law enforcement raised $1,999.99. Andy Harmon represented the law enforcement team and took his pie like a trouper, but things quickly got out of hand. EMA Director Linda Griffin, Salvation Army Director Trisha Finn and fire service representative Kay Davis also found themselves covered in whipped cream, but it was all for a good cause.
“I was shocked that much money was taken in for the few hours we rang,” Griffin said.
CSO Deputy Jimmy Rappe of Okolona was a first-time ringer this year, but it probably won’t be his last. He said he volunteered for the community service angle, but soon was caught up in the fun.
“At first it was just to help,” Rappe said. “But then I really enjoyed talking to all the people out there.”
The goal for this year’s campaign is $15,000 and Finn said they were a few thousand dollars short of reaching it starting the week, but she is confident it can be achieved.
“We’ve got a whole week left,” Finn smiled.
The kettles will be out at Grocer’s Pride Supermarket and Walmart through Christmas Eve. Any individuals, church or civic groups or school clubs who are interested in taking a two-hour shift can contact Finn at 456-0070.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston FFA earns One Star Chapter award November 27, 2016
- Okolona airport lands grant December 1, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- Una Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- Houlka Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago