Tennis Travelers at State
The USTA tennis team comprised of players from Houston and New Albany made their first trip to the State tournament in Jackson in December with a fifth-place showing.
Coach Mike Blissard said the team played well and the finish could be misleading.
“We only lost to one team, but the way the tournament is scored and the way the bracket fell we had to settle for fifth,” Blissard said. “All the players played well at the tournament.”
The team was missing member, Lane Brandon, who suffered an injury and could not compete. The other five members, Walt Harrington and Ezra Blissard of Houston and Mark Robbins, Christopher Shands and Trace Thompson of New Albany represented the Tanglefoot Travelers, named after the recreational trail that runs through both Union and Chickasaw counties.
A defeat by the Oxford team put the Travelers behind and Oxford went on to win the overall tournament.
“Although we won all the other matches we played, we never caught back up,” Blissard said.
This marked the first time for Harrington and Ezra Blissard to compete in a fall USTA State tournament and both said it was a worthwhile trip.
“It was a fun, new experience for me and the whole team just being a part of the first ever fall USTA State Championship,” Harrington said.
“It was great,” added Ezra Blissard. “Of course, my team helped me get there, but I’m glad I had the opportunity to play for a State title.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago