Several members of the VFD were awarded for their service and dedication to the community.
Jonathan Gill was a double-award winner, receiving plaques as both the Most Improved Firefighter and the Roy Gray Memorial Firefighter of the Year.
Gill, 18, began serving with the Thorn VFD two years ago and now is a volunteer with the Houston VFD. He was honored to receive both awards this year.
“It means a lot to win out of all those people,” Gill said.
“It means I must be doing something right,” he added with a smile.
Linda Griffin was the recipient of the Star of Life award for responding to the most medical calls. Griffin attended 35 percent of the 316 medical calls registered in 2012.
Service awards were given to Stevie Brassfield for five years of service, Wes Lowe for ten years of service and Curt Jernigan for 30 years of service.
Other awards included the Cold Sheets award for the firefighters responding most to non-medical calls between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. and the Top Nozzle award for those who worked the highest percentage of fire calls during the year.
In 2012, 156 fire calls were reported with 19 calls between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. 316 medical calls were reported and 472 total calls for assistance were met.
Top Nozzle awards
Linda Griffin, 62 percent
Robert Goza, 43 percent
Bobby Sanderson, 39 percent
Bruce Burkeen, 35 percent
Kay Davis, 33 percent
Cold Sheets awards
Bruce Burkeen, 47 percent
Robert Goza, 47 percent
Linda Griffin, 37 percent
Kay Davis, 37 percent
Curt Jernigan, 37 percent
Hunter Powell, 32 percent
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston FFA March 16, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Busy as a bee March 20, 2017
- Jobless rate up in January March 20, 2017
- Local artist on display at ICC March 20, 2017
- HHS Student of the Month March 20, 2017
- NMMC offers weight loss for state employees March 22, 2017
- Two arrested, charged in Clay County murders March 22, 2017
- McQuary throws in SEC tilt March 22, 2017
- Extra Innings! March 22, 2017
- Lady Rams fight for comeback win March 22, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago