HLES teams up with 4H
“The purpose of this event was to reward those boys and girls who did not get an ODR second nine weeks. We also hoped to motivate those who did receive a referral to try harder during the next nine weeks,” said Lauren James, HLES second grade teacher and mini-rodeo event coordinator.
James, along with other members of the Positive Behavior Interventions and Support (PBIS) team at HLES, as well as Beverly James, Houston vo-tech principal; Angie Abrams,4-H Program Associate; Scott Cagle, 4-H County Director; and 4-H student members, Nicole Abrams and Shelby Abrams put on the no-ODR event.
The mini-rodeo consisted of a flag presentation, national anthem and barrel racing. Students also visited different stations, learning about 4-H, Future Farmers of America (FFA), and the responsibility of caring for animals.
“A personal goal of mine was to motivate students to join 4-H and/or FFA when they are old enough,” Lauren James said. “Both organizations provide many opportunities for students to prove themselves academically and socially, and they also reinforce the same expectations that we at HLES do every day, to be respectful, responsible, and ready.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Coaching the game he loves March 19, 2017
- Two arrested, charged in Clay County murders March 22, 2017
- NMMC offers weight loss for state employees March 22, 2017
- EDITORIAL Severe Weather Awareness Week March 23, 2017
- Chandler to head industrial development March 23, 2017
- GWENDOLYN PEARSON: Tourism tax and internet service March 26, 2017
- CARA CHISOLM: Get involved in your Library March 26, 2017
- DAR honors two with history awards March 26, 2017
- Ribbon Cutting; Ava Michaels Boutique March 25, 2017
- Medical care answers for America March 25, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago