TUPELO – Tommie Sanders, 91, died Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013, at Tupelo Nursing & Rehab Center. He was a memmber of East Main Street Church of Christ in Tupelo. He was a retired captain of the fire department after 25 years of service. He served four years in the U.S. Army during World War II. He was known as “Hawkeye” by the former Lee County CB Club. He enjoyed car racing and playing bingo at the nursing home.
Services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Kesler Funeral Home Chapel in Baldwyn. Burial will be in the East Prentiss Cemetery. Kesler Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include a son, Gail Sanders (friend, Joann) of Tupelo; his caregivers, niece and nephew, Martha and Charles Milam of Tupelo; special great-great-nieces, Britney and Brooke Butler of Tupelo three nephews, W.L. Sanders of Okolona, L.C. Miller and Terry McDowell, both of Florida; and two nieces, Lynn Smith of Colorado and Donna McDowell of Florida.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 56 years, Edith Pounders Sanders, in 1996; his parents, Oscar and Dora Sanders; three brothers, Clee, Walter and Hubert Sanders; two sisters, Ruby Miller Jean McDowell.
Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until service time Saturday.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago