TUPELO – Tommie Sanders, 91, died Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013, at Tupelo Nursing & Rehab Center. He was a memmber of East Main Street Church of Christ in Tupelo. He was a retired captain of the fire department after 25 years of service. He served four years in the U.S. Army during World War II. He was known as “Hawkeye” by the former Lee County CB Club. He enjoyed car racing and playing bingo at the nursing home.
Services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Kesler Funeral Home Chapel in Baldwyn. Burial will be in the East Prentiss Cemetery. Kesler Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include a son, Gail Sanders (friend, Joann) of Tupelo; his caregivers, niece and nephew, Martha and Charles Milam of Tupelo; special great-great-nieces, Britney and Brooke Butler of Tupelo three nephews, W.L. Sanders of Okolona, L.C. Miller and Terry McDowell, both of Florida; and two nieces, Lynn Smith of Colorado and Donna McDowell of Florida.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 56 years, Edith Pounders Sanders, in 1996; his parents, Oscar and Dora Sanders; three brothers, Clee, Walter and Hubert Sanders; two sisters, Ruby Miller Jean McDowell.
Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until service time Saturday.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- MHSAA reclassifications announced November 28, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Dr. Willis named AAN Fellow December 2, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Are schools worth fighting for? December 4, 2016
- Locals named ICC Foundation scholars December 4, 2016
- DAVID HORN: We the people have voted for change December 4, 2016
- REV. DARRICK WHITFIELD: How to be wise December 4, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago