Tupelo man catches 17-pounder at Davis Lake
A short ride in the live well brought Foster’s bass to a meat market in Houlka, where it weighed in at 17.34 pounds, just ounces shy of the record 18.15-pound mark recorded 20 years ago by Anthony Denny with a bass caught in the lake at Natchez State Park, in Adams County.
Foster hooked the big bass using 8-pound test line and a 7-inch blue Zoom trick worm on a shaky head rig.
Though it goes without saying last Friday’s specimen was their largest, Foster and Tootle have made a regular practice of catching big bass on Davis Lake during the winter.
“We’ve been doing it for a couple years,” Foster said. “My buddy and I tend to get out and go when it’s crazy cold. He and I have fished there in the spitting snow, and we’ve caught big ones in cold, bad weather. It’s just a chance to get out of the house and see how tough you are, or how crazy you are.”
Once a regular team on the bass tournament circuits, Foster says he and Tootle have redirected their efforts toward Davis Lake, a 165-acre fishery in the Tombigbee National Forest. It was stocked in 2000 and has become a big bass destination in recent years.
“I feel like a state record could come out of Davis Lake in the next few years,” Foster said. “It could be swimming in the lake there right now.”
Quiet, patient work
“To go to Davis in the winter, over the last three or four years, you can’t go down there expecting to catch a lot, but you’re waiting for one big hit. It takes patience,” he said. “We’ve been out there in days not fit for man nor beast. You’ve got to go and fish slowly, methodically.
“We put in at 9 Friday morning and I didn’t get a bite until 2:15,” he said.
That bite, though, was the one he was looking for.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Houston, Houlka, Okolona districts get “C” July 22, 2016
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago