Fire destroys Woodland home
WOODLAND – Gusting winds fanned a fire at a house southeast of Woodland Monday morning that totally destroyed a rural home with falling temperatures and a chilling rain making conditions miserable for volunteer firefighters.
Dispatchers with 911 alerted local fire departments and paged out volunteer firefighters at 9:40 a.m., after they received a phone call from homeowners saying their house was on fire.
“We were dispatched to the home of Sonny Montgomery at 355 County Road 84,” said Randall Yeatman, Fire Chief for Woodland Volunteer Fire Department, the primary department at Monday’s fire. “Smoke was pouring from the house when we got there and the wind got into the fire and made things more difficult for us.”
Yeatman said the structure was a total loss.
Firefighters were on the scene until 12:43 p.m. and were called back to the scene at 4 p.m. to wet down hotspots. The fire occurred as a fast moving cold front moved through the county Monday morning.
“Mr. Montgomery and his brother had just returned home when the discovered the fire,” said Yeatman. “We were told by someone who arrived on the scene early that the fire started in the kitchen.”
Yeatman said the exact cause of the fire was not known.
One end of the wood and brick FHA home collapsed as firefighters battled the blaze and wind pushed the fire through the rest of the house.
Yeatman said no one was hurt in the blaze.
“Everyone out there was cold and wet by the time we got the fire out,” said Yeatman. “I want to thank everyone who responded to this fire in miserable conditions.”
Yeatman said in addition to Woodland Volunteer Fire Department units from Montpelier, Rhodes Chapel and Houston also responded to the blaze.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston FFA March 16, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Busy as a bee March 20, 2017
- Jobless rate up in January March 20, 2017
- Local artist on display at ICC March 20, 2017
- HHS Student of the Month March 20, 2017
- NMMC offers weight loss for state employees March 22, 2017
- Two arrested, charged in Clay County murders March 22, 2017
- McQuary throws in SEC tilt March 22, 2017
- Extra Innings! March 22, 2017
- Lady Rams fight for comeback win March 22, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago