Luther Williams Jr.
OKOLONA – Luther “Son” Marion Williams Jr., 82, died Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2013, at Shearer-Richardson Nursing Home. He was born in Starkville on May 25, 1930, to Luther Williams Sr., and Ruby Sanders Williams. He was a life-long resident of Okolona, graduating from Okolona High School. He served his country in the U.S. Marines during the Korean War. He retired from the family business of the Deport Grocery and Slaughter House where he was a butcher. His second retirement was from The Rosehill Co. He married Virginia A. “Jenny” Earnest on July 8, 1993. He enjoyed flower gardening, horses, country music and dancing his “William’s 2-step.” He loved his family, especially his grandsons. He was a loving husband, father and granddaddy. He was a member of Arbor Grove Baptist Church in Houston.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Friday in the Okolona Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors with Rev. Bobby Holland officiating. Private burial will follow in Lee Memorial Park in Verona. Holland Funeral Directors of Okolona is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include his wife of almost 20 years, Virginia E. “Jenny” Williams of Okolona; daughter, Anne Martin (Edward) of Houston; special son, Jonathan Morris (Courtney) of Branson, Mo.; brother, Ronnie Williams (Betty) of Aberdeen; sisters, Betty Sue Carlisle of Okolona and Valerie Reifers (Tommy) of Greenwood; his grandchildren, William Scott West (Emily), Luther Ryan West (Ashley), and Joshua Gary Christian (Yolanda); and great-grandchildren, Joshua Lane Christian, Luther Mason West and Makena Ruth West.
He was preceded in death by his parents; daughter, Nanne Christian; sister, Laverne McCary; brothers-in-law, Charles “Buck” Carlisle and J.B. McCary; and the mother of his children, Helen L. Williams.
Pallbearers will be Mark McCary, Ed Cruse, Hollis Lee Brown, Jacky Moore, Jamie Darnell and the Honorable Kenneth M. Burns. Honorary pallbearers will be Andrew McDonald, Jonathan Morris, Dr. Don Smith and staff of Shearer-Richardson Nursing Home.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday and from 12:30 p.m. to service time Friday.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- Houston drops two to Noxubee February 15, 2017
- BIRTH: Easton Rhett Dendy February 19, 2017
- BIRTH: Swayze Jo Flora February 19, 2017
- County ponders TRPDD alliance February 20, 2017
- One killed in wreck involving ambulance February 21, 2017
- Chickasaw man injured in Shannon wreck February 21, 2017
- Sirens to go off Wednesday for statwide tornado drill February 21, 2017
- ICC names Adult Learner scholars February 21, 2017
- WIN Center offers iPhone class February 21, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago