EDITORIAL: Vandalism in your park
It is sad to say there are people who get a certain amount or pleasure or entertainment out of tearing up public property.
We find that a sad way to live life. We also understand it is a crime.
A news article in last weeks Chickasaw Journal about vandalism at the Kids Park on Starkville Road in Houston prompted many in our community to shake their head and say, “somebody needs to do something about that!”
We think that somebody is you.
The City of Houston has repeatedly replaced ceramic toilets broken by vandals at Joe Brigance Park. They have now put locks on bathroom doors – an action that will inconvenience many and create another nasty problem at the park.
Parks and Recreation Director John Gravat said the frequency of these acts of destruction has increased. Gravat also pointed out Kids Park was financed and constructed by people in this community with a dream of creating a wonderful, safe and clean place to carry young children.
Town Marshal Billy Voyles said police routinely patrol the park and frequently tell folks to move along. Voyles said police have arrested those found to be breaking the law.
As we said earlier, now it is our turn.
We urge motorist to look into our park when they drive by and note the cars and occupants. If they see something suspicious, please call 911 and leave an anonymous tip.
We urge those good people who jog, walk and exercise in the park to also keep their eyes open when they are in the park. We want to point out Joe Brigance Park is not unsafe, but it is suffering from vandalism. Please call 911 if you spot trouble.
Last but not least, we want to urge Chickasaw County judges to come down hard on anyone convicted of committing any kind of crime in our parks.
A lot can be said about a town by how nice their parks are. People who care about community property also care about economic development, their schools and their neighborhoods.
Let’s be the eye and ears of our town and work together to stop vandalism in your park.
Do you have a concern or criticism of your community. Please write us a Letter to the Editor and mail it to the Chickasaw Journal at 225 East Madison St., Houston 38851 or click “Contact Us” on this browser and send us an email. Don’t forget to include your phone number so we can confirm your letter.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way April 17, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Three big days in Spring April 20, 2017
- Three busted for possession of meth April 20, 2017
- Ag Safety Day April 21, 2017
- Man convicted in Okolona shooting April 21, 2017
- Houston correcting SPED complaints April 24, 2017
- Dollar General Ribbon Cutting April 23, 2017
- Certified Nurse Assistance Class seeks applicants April 23, 2017
- WEDDING: Stone/Fisackerly April 23, 2017
- TEACHER OF THE WEEK! April 22, 2017
- Winford White: I totally disagree with your schools consolidation...
- Winford White: That is good News for Okolona. Or shall we say, it...
- Winford White: I strongly agree! if someone can afford to pay a T...
- Winford White: Keep up the good works Chickasaw County because th...
- Winford White: Winford White, CPC - Winford's Consulting : It is...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago