JOHN STANDFIELD: We open doors to education
A community says a lot about itself by the way it takes care of its children.
Okolona is saying good things lately with its response to Okolona Community Dollars for Scholars.
The group, only eight-years-old, last summer gave out five $1,500 scholarships and twenty-two $500 scholarships to Okolona High School graduating Seniors and college students. Community response has made it possible this year for the group to give at least eight additional community based scholarships of varying amounts. Hopes are to expand that amount even more in the future.
To date, Okolona Community Dollars for Scholars has awarded more than $100,000 in scholarships and plans to raise even more in pledges and donations. That’s going to make a difference, perhaps a big difference, in the lives of deserving students faced with the overwhelming costs of continuing their education after high school.
And the fund-raising efforts haven’t stopped. Efforts are under way to add to an endowment fund that will generate money for scholarships in this decade and for decades to come.
“We open doors to education”
This is precisely what donors do when they support Okolona Community Dollars for Scholars. As college costs rise, financing a college education becomes an increasingly daunting challenge. Imagine the pride of local youths when they earn a local scholarship that says in effect, “We believe so strongly in you and have so much confidence in your abilities that we’ll put our money behind you.”
What a boost!
John Standfield is Executive Director of the Okolona Community Dollars for Scholars program. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 871-9344.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way April 17, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Three big days in Spring April 20, 2017
- Three busted for possession of meth April 20, 2017
- Ag Safety Day April 21, 2017
- Man convicted in Okolona shooting April 21, 2017
- Dollar General Ribbon Cutting April 23, 2017
- Certified Nurse Assistance Class seeks applicants April 23, 2017
- WEDDING: Stone/Fisackerly April 23, 2017
- TEACHER OF THE WEEK! April 22, 2017
- GLENN MOLETTE: America and shooting back April 22, 2017
- Winford White: I totally disagree with your schools consolidation...
- Winford White: That is good News for Okolona. Or shall we say, it...
- Winford White: I strongly agree! if someone can afford to pay a T...
- Winford White: Keep up the good works Chickasaw County because th...
- Winford White: Winford White, CPC - Winford's Consulting : It is...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago