VARDAMAN – Letha Cherry Long, 98, died Sunday, Jan. 20, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. She was born March 6, 1914, in Waterloo, Ala. She was a member of New Hope Baptist Church, a homemaker and a farmer.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at New Hope Baptist Church in Vardaman with Bro. Johnny Cherry officiating and Bro. Robert Earl Alexander and Bro. J.R. Eaton assisting. Burial will be in Elzey Cemetery in Vardaman. Parker Memorial Funeral Home of Vardaman is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include three daughters, Betty Sue Johnson of Vardaman, Christine Clements and husband, George of Calhoun City, and Rose McCluskey and husband, Bryant of Vardaman; two sons, Edward Earl Long of Vardaman and David E. Cherry and wife, Thelma of Houston; 17 grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren; and eight great-great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, John Russell and Rosie Lee Gibbs Cherry; her husband, Z.L. Long; one daughter, Louise Vance; two sisters, Mable Austin and Viola McDaniel; and three grandchildren, Mary Elizabeth Vance, John Frank Vance, and Reible Wayne Vance.
Pallbearers will be Jerry Brasher, Marty Criddle, Bryan Allen Long, James David Long, Larry Long and Craig McCluskey
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home in Vardaman. The body will lie in state one hour prior to service time Wednesday at the church.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- Gann named NFHS State Coach of Year February 24, 2017
- Teacher Academy February 24, 2017
- Hilltoppers are ready to roll February 24, 2017
- A Day Without Immigrants felt in Vardaman February 25, 2017
- Wildcats step up to the plate February 27, 2017
- College Day at HCTEC February 27, 2017
- Houlka moves forward with water works February 27, 2017
- Building a future with CET February 26, 2017
- WEDDING: Horn/Lluy February 26, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago