On the road
Williams pedaled through Chickasaw County last week via the Natchez Trace and stopped in Houston to pick up supplies and spend the night.
“When gasoline went to $4 the first time years ago, I just couldn’t believe it,” said Williams. “I picked up my bike, sold my car and haven’t looked back.”
Williams, a native of New Jersey, said it may have been one of the best decisions of his life.
“I know I am a lot more healthy,” said Williams. “It also let me know I can live without a lot of things I always thought I had to have.”
Williams looks like the outdoor type and he prides himself on living on the bare minimum. A tree trimmer by trade, Williams said he has worked factory jobs and can do just about anything with his hands.
“I made this little trailer that I pull and I am completely self contained,” said Williams. “It’s dry and warm. It holds a sleeping bag, some clothes and a few dishes.”
Williams’ sleeping quarters are built out of quarter-inch plywood, mounted on a rebar frame and turning bicycle wheels. The heaviest piece of metal is the tongue that goes from trailer to bike.
“The heaviest thing in there is a five gallon water container when it’s full,” said Williams. “The whole trailer weighs about 200 pounds.”
Williams has pulled it up mountains and across western deserts.
He said he was headed to Texas and has fallen in love with the Natchez Trace.
“It’s so quiet and beautiful in the winter,” he added. “There is no doubt I have to come back in the Spring or Fall when the leaves are on the trees.”
And while Williams said he does own a watch and wants to be in Texas by the end of January, he said me might spend a little time in this area.
“People have been so nice to me in Mississippi,” said Williams. “I’m serious when I say it started at the state line.
“They wave, they stop and talk and want to know what I’m doing,” he added. “They always ask if there is anything they can do for me. People don’t act like that in New Jersey.”
When Williams was told about the opening of Tanglefoot Trail this Spring, he expressed a definite interest in riding that 44-mile, limited access route on his way back through the Magnolia State.
“You hear a lot about Mississippi that just isn’t true,” he added. “I’m already looking forward to coming back.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Giving your very best July 18, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago