On the road to tourney
HOUSTON – Area teams will burning up the road to playoffs the next two weeks, as division games and tournament seedings are on everyone’s minds and schedules. District tournaments are set for Feb. 11-16 and everyone is jockeying for a better position in the brackets.
The Houston Hilltoppers started the week at 2-0 in division with wins over Noxubee County and Caledonia, but will face Leake Central, Louisville and Kosciusko before the tournament begins.
“Noxubee was a big win,” said Coach Bruce Franks. Anquan Russell posted 35 points for the team in the division win.
The Toppers have played a couple of non-division games without big man, Chris Jones, who is being actively recruited for college football. Although Jones has said he will not miss division basketball games, Franks knows it’s best for his team, especially his underclassmen to utilize their own resources rather than rely heavily on Jones, who will graduate in May.
“We have to learn to play without him,” Franks said. “We’ll have to grow up and someone will have to step up. We have to play together as a team.”
On the girl’s side of the court, the Lady Toppers also began the week at 2-0 and are working toward a good seeding in tournament. Coach Vernessa Gates said there is still room for improvement, but she has seen progress in her girls this season.
“We’ve had some different players step up and that’s good here at district time,” Gates said.
Houston will host 4-4A tournament this year.
In division 2A, both Houlka and Vardaman will head to Tremont for district tourney this year. Originally scheduled for Smithville, the tournament was moved due to the Seminoles lack of a gym during their rebuilding from the 2011 tornado.
The Wildcats start the week at 2-0 following wins over Vardaman and TCPS while the girls are at 1-1, following a loss to the Lady Rams.
The Lady Rams started the week at 2-0, scoring district wins over Houlka and Smithville. The boys team was at 1-1, losing to Houlka and winning over Smithville.
Chiefs heading to Baldwyn
The Okolona Cheftains began their week at 1-0 following a win ove rhamilton, but still will face Hatley, Baldwyn and East Union before they make the trip to Baldwyn for tournament.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Testing our schoolsEDITORIAL: Testing our schools July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago