Houlka misses beloved coach
Byars, 47, died Jan. 15 after a brief battle with cancer, leaving his wife, children and many family members as survivors, but those who attended his service felt he left the world a better place for his presence in it.
Byars began his career as a student teacher at Tupelo High School in 1993 and taught history at Houlka Attendance Center for many years. During his tenure at Houlka he coached baseball, softball, football and track and kept the time clock for basketball games.
Although Byars’ funeral was held at 2 p.m. Friday afternoon, the Wildcats and Lady Wildcats were on the court playing basketball in Okolona Friday night. Coach Vicki Homan said the staff felt the decision to play was best for the students.
“We’re playing with heavy hearts right now,” Homan said. “But we thought it was best to get the kids back into a regular routine. We have to move on, that’s what he would have wanted.”
During the memorial service, Coach Jimmy Guy McDonald, Sid Burt, Seth Burt, Bro. Jeff Harmon and Bro. David Blackwell all spoke of Byars’ desire to be a witness for the Lord and to minister to others while battling his own illness.
Homan said his support for and love of the students at Houlka Attendance Center will help ease their loss.
“He always wanted the girls to leave it all on the floor,” Homan said. “It didn’t matter if they won or lost. He wanted them to strive no matter what the score.”
A reception was held at First Baptist Church of Houlka following the memorial service and interment was in Lee Memorial Park in Verona.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago