OKOLONA – Ruby Louise Finn Griggs, 87, died Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013, at Shearer-Richardson Nursing Home in Okolona. She was born in Chickasaw County on Nov. 30, 1925, to William R. and Zue Ella Long Finn. A lifelong resident of Chickasaw County, she was a retired seamstress for Delta Trousers. She was a member of the Carnation Baptist Church where she taught Sunday school for many years. She was a joyful lady who always approached life optimistically. She loved her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren who affectionately called her Mamaw, was known far and wide for her biscuits and chocolate pies, loved word find puzzles, reading her Bible and following the pursuits of her grands.
A service celebrating her life will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Okolona Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors with the Rev. Dr. Wallace Cason III officiating. Burial will follow in East Chickasaw Memorial Gardens.
Survivors include her son, Gary Griggs (Pam); her daughter, Joanie Griggs Word (Herbert), all of the Okolona area; nine grandchildren, Mandy Crane (Joey), Tom Griggs (Amanda), Lacy Lockhart (Andy), Branan Griggs (Missy), Jay Griggs (Keri), Scott Word (Ellie), Trey Word (Julie), Kathryn Pennebaker (Bo) and Mary Harris (Anthony); 22 great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Thomas (Tom) Griggs, who died in l998; her son, Larry Griggs in 2005; and her siblings, T.A., Henry, J.W. and W.R. Finn.
Visitation is 5 to 7 p.m. Monday and 10 a.m. until service time Tuesday at the Okolona Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors.
Pallbearers will be her grandsons, Trey, Branan, Jay, Tom and Phillip and Harold Jolly.
Memorials may be made to New Hope United Methodist Church, 148 CR 137, Okolona, Miss. 38860.
Condolences may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Testing our schoolsEDITORIAL: Testing our schools July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago