OKOLONA – Ruby Louise Finn Griggs, 87, died Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013, at Shearer-Richardson Nursing Home in Okolona. She was born in Chickasaw County on Nov. 30, 1925, to William R. and Zue Ella Long Finn. A lifelong resident of Chickasaw County, she was a retired seamstress for Delta Trousers. She was a member of the Carnation Baptist Church where she taught Sunday school for many years. She was a joyful lady who always approached life optimistically. She loved her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren who affectionately called her Mamaw, was known far and wide for her biscuits and chocolate pies, loved word find puzzles, reading her Bible and following the pursuits of her grands.
A service celebrating her life will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Okolona Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors with the Rev. Dr. Wallace Cason III officiating. Burial will follow in East Chickasaw Memorial Gardens.
Survivors include her son, Gary Griggs (Pam); her daughter, Joanie Griggs Word (Herbert), all of the Okolona area; nine grandchildren, Mandy Crane (Joey), Tom Griggs (Amanda), Lacy Lockhart (Andy), Branan Griggs (Missy), Jay Griggs (Keri), Scott Word (Ellie), Trey Word (Julie), Kathryn Pennebaker (Bo) and Mary Harris (Anthony); 22 great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Thomas (Tom) Griggs, who died in l998; her son, Larry Griggs in 2005; and her siblings, T.A., Henry, J.W. and W.R. Finn.
Visitation is 5 to 7 p.m. Monday and 10 a.m. until service time Tuesday at the Okolona Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors.
Pallbearers will be her grandsons, Trey, Branan, Jay, Tom and Phillip and Harold Jolly.
Memorials may be made to New Hope United Methodist Church, 148 CR 137, Okolona, Miss. 38860.
Condolences may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- Gann named NFHS State Coach of Year February 24, 2017
- Teacher Academy February 24, 2017
- Hilltoppers are ready to roll February 24, 2017
- A Day Without Immigrants felt in Vardaman February 25, 2017
- Wildcats step up to the plate February 27, 2017
- College Day at HCTEC February 27, 2017
- Houlka moves forward with water works February 27, 2017
- Building a future with CET February 26, 2017
- WEDDING: Horn/Lluy February 26, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago