Sign of the times
And the goal is for neighbors, family and those who are just curious to stop for a moment and ask what they are all about.
“This year there are 90 days between New Years and Easter,” said Gary Permenter, executive director of the Chickasaw Baptist Association. “There are also 89 chapters in the four Gospels of the Bible.
“The signs are in the yards and on the businesses where people have agreed to study one of the chapters our to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John on a daily basis and pray in the weeks leading up to Easter,” said Permenter, who developed the study guide accompanying the signs and carried it to local pastors.
There are 19 Baptist churches in the Chickasaw Baptist Association and Permenter said 13 have agreed to the P90E study. Signs can be found in Houston, Okolona, Houlka, Woodland and even in Egypt and Atlanta.
“It’s sort of a take off on the P90X exercise program that guarantees you a sleek and trim body in just 90 days,” said Permenter. “I don’t make any guarantees, but I do know that those who sincerely seek the Lord find him.”
Permenter said the goal is spiritual discipline and prompting people to exercise their witness in the community.
“The daily readings also have particular theme,” Permenter added. “Sunday is unity in the body of Christ, Monday is love for God, Tuesday is vision and direction, Wednesday is your internal ministry and Thursday is your external ministry.”
Friday’s study deals with gratitude and generosity toward others. Saturday explores kindness and service.
The study also encourages participants to keep a journal.
“I have been very surprised to see how this has blossomed in Chickasaw County,” said Permenter. “It is work and it’s not always easy to read scripture and then apply it honestly to our lives. Just like sticking with physical exercise leads to a better physical body, sticking with spiritual exercise will lead to a better and stronger spiritual body.”
Permenter has been contacted by the Mississippi Baptist Convention about tailoring the study to a statewide Bible study program.
“Baptist are big on programs, but this is not about a program,” said Permenter. “This is about people exercising their spiritual power, gifts and seeking direction. Yes, I am excited about the initial success, but my real desire is to strike up a conversation between neighbors, family members and people in this community and watch where it goes.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Tending to business July 30, 2016
- Praying for peace and unity July 30, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago