EDITORIAL: Voice your vote on charter schools
A quick look around our community indicates we will be a prime target for these new private schools funded with public dollars. Okolona schools have just recently come out from under state control. Houston and Chickasaw County schools are average at best.
We have also heard reports that Chickasaw, Okolona and Houston schools were on a shortlist of schools to be consolidated in a recent bill put before the Legislature two weeks ago.
It is time we pick up the phone and voice our opinion on these issues.
Senator Russell Jolly and Representative Preston Sullivan are being pulled in two directions by this community.
Please kindly voice your concerns to them on charter schools. Please listen kindly as your lawmakers explain their stance and how they plan to vote.
There are many who feel charter schools are the salvation of public education in this state and will finally let parents send their kids and their tax dollars to better schools. There are also those who feel charter schools will drain dollars and quality students from schools systems frantically seeking more of both.
It remains to be seen if Mississippi will make the right decision on charter schools. We need to voice our desires to those who will ultimately decide this critical issue for Houston, Okolona and Chickasaw County.
Your voice can make a difference on charter schools in Chickasaw County.
• Sen. Russell Jolly
– Mississippi State Senate, District 8 (Calhoun, Chickasaw, Grenada, Lee)
– Capitol Contact Information: P. O. Box 1018 Jackson, MS 39215. (601) 359-2886.
• Rep. Preston E. Sullivan
– Mississippi House of Representatives, District 22 (Calhoun, Chickasaw, Pontotoc)
– Capitol Contact Information: Room: 202 P.O Box 1018, Jackson, MS 39215. (601) 359-3332 .
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- One county courthouse discussed in Okolona October 17, 2016
- Pilot Club to host pageant October 21, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Previews October 21, 2016
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Charges upgraded following fatal accident October 21, 2016
- What color is homelessness? October 22, 2016
- Houston seeks to improve attendance October 24, 2016
- BREAST CANCER: Know your foe October 24, 2016
- Find a lump? Find out what it is! October 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: The killing of public education October 23, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Lawmakers “examine” MAEP funding October 23, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago