EDITORIAL: Voice your vote on charter schools
A quick look around our community indicates we will be a prime target for these new private schools funded with public dollars. Okolona schools have just recently come out from under state control. Houston and Chickasaw County schools are average at best.
We have also heard reports that Chickasaw, Okolona and Houston schools were on a shortlist of schools to be consolidated in a recent bill put before the Legislature two weeks ago.
It is time we pick up the phone and voice our opinion on these issues.
Senator Russell Jolly and Representative Preston Sullivan are being pulled in two directions by this community.
Please kindly voice your concerns to them on charter schools. Please listen kindly as your lawmakers explain their stance and how they plan to vote.
There are many who feel charter schools are the salvation of public education in this state and will finally let parents send their kids and their tax dollars to better schools. There are also those who feel charter schools will drain dollars and quality students from schools systems frantically seeking more of both.
It remains to be seen if Mississippi will make the right decision on charter schools. We need to voice our desires to those who will ultimately decide this critical issue for Houston, Okolona and Chickasaw County.
Your voice can make a difference on charter schools in Chickasaw County.
• Sen. Russell Jolly
– Mississippi State Senate, District 8 (Calhoun, Chickasaw, Grenada, Lee)
– Capitol Contact Information: P. O. Box 1018 Jackson, MS 39215. (601) 359-2886.
• Rep. Preston E. Sullivan
– Mississippi House of Representatives, District 22 (Calhoun, Chickasaw, Pontotoc)
– Capitol Contact Information: Room: 202 P.O Box 1018, Jackson, MS 39215. (601) 359-3332 .
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way April 17, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Three big days in Spring April 20, 2017
- Three busted for possession of meth April 20, 2017
- Ag Safety Day April 21, 2017
- Man convicted in Okolona shooting April 21, 2017
- Houston correcting SPED complaints April 24, 2017
- Dollar General Ribbon Cutting April 23, 2017
- Certified Nurse Assistance Class seeks applicants April 23, 2017
- WEDDING: Stone/Fisackerly April 23, 2017
- TEACHER OF THE WEEK! April 22, 2017
- Winford White: I totally disagree with your schools consolidation...
- Winford White: That is good News for Okolona. Or shall we say, it...
- Winford White: I strongly agree! if someone can afford to pay a T...
- Winford White: Keep up the good works Chickasaw County because th...
- Winford White: Winford White, CPC - Winford's Consulting : It is...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago