Houston’s Jones hearing from coaches, fans
By Brandon Speck
Daily Journal Sports
HOUSTON – Mississippi State and Ole Miss are making their final pitches to Houston 5-star defensive end Chris Jones.
Both schools are scheduled to visit him Saturday, four days ahead of national signing day.
Jones, an MSU commitment since June, has pumped new life into his recruitment with a weekend visit to Oxford, the only other official visit he has taken after an official visit to Starkville.
Jones has more than coaches seeking his signature on national signing day. He has fans of both Mississippi State and Ole Miss lobbying – begging – for his services.
He says whether fans in Oxford chant his name on a surprise visit or some Mississippi State fans have made critical remarks because he even took the weekend visit, he doesn’t let it get him too high or too low.
“You can’t make everybody happy. You can’t please everybody,” he said. “You’ve got to do what’s good for yourself. Fans are going to be mad if fans are going to be mad. I really don’t care about that. You just can’t let it get to you.”
‘It’s my decision’
Jones said Tuesday night, he’d like to take both parents to see both schools. His mother went to Mississippi State with him, his dad to Ole Miss.
As for now, that isn’t in the plans, though.
“I want the whole family to visit each school. I want them to look around with me and see how they feel,” Jones said. “I know it’s my decision. I just want to hear my family’s thoughts about it, too.”
Jones’ phone lit up for much of a 15-minute interview before his team’s division basketball game against Louisville. It has happened a lot after a meteoric rise that has him as high as No. 2 prospect in the country by 247Sports.
The service named him to the All-American Team this week. The 6-foot-7, 255-pounder expects to announce his college plans on Feb. 6 – signing day.
“I’m going to wait,” Jones said, “I want to go where I can have some time to think about it, think on my decision, make sure it’s what I want to do. I feel that’s what’s best for me.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona nipped by Shannon September 22, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A place called Houston September 26, 2016
- Fight brought to Houston PD September 27, 2016
- Waterfowl season dates told September 27, 2016
- AP PREP POLL: Houston ranked 5th in 4A September 27, 2016
- District 4-4A football standings September 29, 2016
- Winning streak September 29, 2016
- Houston Homecoming Queen September 29, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Made in Chickasaw September 29, 2016
- Two arrested on drug charges September 28, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago