Houston hires business manager
Sarah Juckes, an accountant from Houston, will be the top bookkeeper for the school system and will ultimately oversee a budget of approximately $15 million and handle payroll for the third largest employer in the community.
Juckes was the final choice presented to the Houston School Board by a committee composed of Lancaster, Superintendent Steve Coker, Assistant Superintendent Chad Spence and Bonnie Granger, a consultant hired by the district to assist in the search.
“We looked at about 40 applicants from inside and outside the state and interviewed eight people,” said Coker. “We were looking for some with experience in payroll, accounts receivable and more advanced accounting practices.”
The district met in executive session to discuss hiring a new business manager in late 2012 and formally advertised for the post on Dec. 19.
“We were also looking for someone knowledgeable in how our system works,” Coker added. “So much of what a school district does is specific to schools and state and federal government.
“We were also looking for a people person,” said Coker. “The person in that position works with every principal, every department and every employee in this district.”
Jukes will start her job on Feb. 5 and work with Lancaster to learn details of Houston’s bookkeeping system.
Lancaster has worked for the Houston School District for 25 years and as District Business Manager is responsible for crunching the numbers that ultimately form a budget, staying abreast of changes to state and federal revenue and law pertaining to financial records and audits.
“Ronja has always done an outstanding job for the district, has always helped us find the answers and this is a big change for us,” said Coker. “We were also looking for someone who could continue to uphold the financial integrity of the district.”
Coker said the district was not looking to change the job description of the Business Manager. He said the district doesn’t expect a need to hire anyone to assist Juckes and Lancaster’s duties will not be distributed to other workers at the Central Office.
The motion to hire Juckes was made by Trustees Carol Byrne and seconded by Trustee Zach Huffman who was attending the meeting via Skype. The vote to hire Juckes was unanimous.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way April 17, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Three big days in Spring April 20, 2017
- Three busted for possession of meth April 20, 2017
- Ag Safety Day April 21, 2017
- Man convicted in Okolona shooting April 21, 2017
- Houston correcting SPED complaints April 24, 2017
- Dollar General Ribbon Cutting April 23, 2017
- Certified Nurse Assistance Class seeks applicants April 23, 2017
- WEDDING: Stone/Fisackerly April 23, 2017
- TEACHER OF THE WEEK! April 22, 2017
- Winford White: I totally disagree with your schools consolidation...
- Winford White: That is good News for Okolona. Or shall we say, it...
- Winford White: I strongly agree! if someone can afford to pay a T...
- Winford White: Keep up the good works Chickasaw County because th...
- Winford White: Winford White, CPC - Winford's Consulting : It is...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago