Houston’s Chris Jones careful with social media
by Brandon Speck
NEMS Daily Journal
Most teenagers can tweet and Facebook freely. Jones has to sort through numerous mentions and messages to access his accounts and if fans notice his presence, it’s all of a sudden a press conference.
He started his senior football season unknown nationally but has shot to the top of the national recruiting radar. He is the talk of pre-signing day, specifically among Mississippi State and Ole Miss fans, one of which he’ll sign with on Wednesday.
Jones says he doesn’t check his Twitter and Facebook accounts too often.
“I’ve got a Twitter account. I’ve got two fake ones,” Jones said, then laughed. “I got on the other day. I saw all kinds of crazy stuff between State and Ole Miss fans.
“They get so caught up on the transition of what’s going on in football. I’m still a high school kid.”
Fans from each come in truck loads pitching their school. Both schools have one more in-person chance to woo Jones, the Daily Journal’s 2013 Defensive Player of the Year and No. 2 prospect in the country according to 247Sports.
Fans would love to be in that living room Saturday to hear what each has to say. The coaches won’t be there at the same time.
“We don’t want that,” Jones said, then laughed.
Jones has gotten to know both Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze and Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen. His only two official visits have been to their programs.
“Coach Freeze is a more faith type of guy and Coach Mullen, he’s more go with the flow, cool, collected type of guy,” Jones said.
Jones has been committed to Mississippi State since he was offered in June. He’s said he’s not sure if he would or wouldn’t have committed then if he knew all of this was in his future.
“I don’t know. I think about it sometimes but I don’t know,” Jones said. “If I knew I was going to be in this situation two years ago, I dont know what I would have done.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston FFA earns One Star Chapter award November 27, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Dr. Willis named AAN Fellow December 2, 2016
- Locals named ICC Foundation scholars December 4, 2016
- DAVID HORN: We the people have voted for change December 4, 2016
- REV. DARRICK WHITFIELD: How to be wise December 4, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- Una Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago