Jones hails State
HOUSTON — Houston’s Chris Jones signed with Mississippi State University this morning, after much speculation about his college of choice.
Jones had narrowed the field to MSU and the University of Mississippi, but was considering both schools up until about 6 a.m.
“I talked to both coaches this morning,” Jones said. “I felt like State had the program for me.”
Jones said he was impressed with both programs and seriously considered switching to Ole Miss even in the final hours.
“Ole Miss has a wonderful program and I love Coach Freeze to death,” Jones said. “I just felt like Mississippi State had the best program, the best fit for me.”
Jones was surrounded by media hoopla for the past several months, but said the frenzy has to be taken in stride.
“It was surprising, it wasn’t something you we planned,” Jones said. “I never really took it seriously. You know how crazy it can be. The way you handle it is the way it’s going to be and I think I handled it in the appropriate way.”
Jones said the “best fit” he found at MSU came from visiting and talking to the coaching staff.
“The defensive staff fits me,” Jones said. “It’s kind of like ours here at Houston.”
More Chickasaw County signings
Three more members of the Hilltopper senior class signed scholarships Feb. 6.
Emmitt Dendy and Sharone Wright both signed with Itawamba Community College and Corey Anderson signed with Holmes Community College.
Zach Pierce of Okolona signed with Hinds Community College marking five local scholarships for football this year.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Tiny Houses July 16, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago