Jones hails State
HOUSTON — Houston’s Chris Jones signed with Mississippi State University this morning, after much speculation about his college of choice.
Jones had narrowed the field to MSU and the University of Mississippi, but was considering both schools up until about 6 a.m.
“I talked to both coaches this morning,” Jones said. “I felt like State had the program for me.”
Jones said he was impressed with both programs and seriously considered switching to Ole Miss even in the final hours.
“Ole Miss has a wonderful program and I love Coach Freeze to death,” Jones said. “I just felt like Mississippi State had the best program, the best fit for me.”
Jones was surrounded by media hoopla for the past several months, but said the frenzy has to be taken in stride.
“It was surprising, it wasn’t something you we planned,” Jones said. “I never really took it seriously. You know how crazy it can be. The way you handle it is the way it’s going to be and I think I handled it in the appropriate way.”
Jones said the “best fit” he found at MSU came from visiting and talking to the coaching staff.
“The defensive staff fits me,” Jones said. “It’s kind of like ours here at Houston.”
More Chickasaw County signings
Three more members of the Hilltopper senior class signed scholarships Feb. 6.
Emmitt Dendy and Sharone Wright both signed with Itawamba Community College and Corey Anderson signed with Holmes Community College.
Zach Pierce of Okolona signed with Hinds Community College marking five local scholarships for football this year.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Poor graduation rates August 18, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week August 21, 2016
- Houston hammering out employee handbook August 22, 2016
- Houlka aldermen briefed on annexation August 22, 2016
- West Nile case reported in Chickasaw County August 22, 2016
- Man arrested on drug charges August 24, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- Houlka buys body cams for PD August 24, 2016
- Okolona man in custody after high speed chase August 23, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago