Calhoun County man allegedly involved in shooting out of hospital
CALHOUN CITY – The Calhoun County man involved in a Jan. 10 fatal shooting has been released from the hospital and is waiting to see if charges will be pressed against him.
It is still not clear what led to Wayne Therman Harris allegedly shooting Chris McGonagill at a cookout that Thursday.
Harris was shot once in the leg and McGonagill was shot six times, according to Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan. Harris was hospitalized and McGonagill died the next day at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Oxford.
The incident gained widespread notice because Harris had received a full pardon of a conviction for the sale of marijuana from then-Gov. Haley Barbour on Jan. 10, 2012.
He had already served his sentence at the time of the pardon but had he not received the pardon, Harris simply having a firearm would have been a felony offense.
Pollan said he is waiting for District Attorney Ben Creekmore to decide what charges to place against the suspect. The case is slated to go before a grand jury April 2.
Pollan said the shooting took place on Highway 9, just south of Calhoun City.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- ETHAN TURNER: Bulldogs, Rebels fill the gaps February 14, 2017
- Turkey harvest reporting planned for spring February 18, 2017
- WEDDING: Kelly/Moore February 19, 2017
- BIRTH: Easton Rhett Dendy February 19, 2017
- Sirens to go off Wednesday for statwide tornado drill February 21, 2017
- ICC names Adult Learner scholars February 21, 2017
- WIN Center offers iPhone class February 21, 2017
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- Family Resource Center offers services February 20, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago