Calhoun County man allegedly involved in shooting out of hospital
CALHOUN CITY – The Calhoun County man involved in a Jan. 10 fatal shooting has been released from the hospital and is waiting to see if charges will be pressed against him.
It is still not clear what led to Wayne Therman Harris allegedly shooting Chris McGonagill at a cookout that Thursday.
Harris was shot once in the leg and McGonagill was shot six times, according to Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan. Harris was hospitalized and McGonagill died the next day at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Oxford.
The incident gained widespread notice because Harris had received a full pardon of a conviction for the sale of marijuana from then-Gov. Haley Barbour on Jan. 10, 2012.
He had already served his sentence at the time of the pardon but had he not received the pardon, Harris simply having a firearm would have been a felony offense.
Pollan said he is waiting for District Attorney Ben Creekmore to decide what charges to place against the suspect. The case is slated to go before a grand jury April 2.
Pollan said the shooting took place on Highway 9, just south of Calhoun City.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago