Rising country artist performs at Houston school
by Crystel Ellison
Houston Lower Elementary School
HOUSTON – Priscilla Barker, a local singer and songwriter, motivated and entertained students at Houston Lower Elementary School’s January monthly assembly.
“Her songs are so uplifting, and her life is a testimony of working hard to pursue your dreams,” said Karen Estes, HLES speech teacher.
Barker, 18, graduated from Hatley High School in December a semester early to move to Nashville and pursue her dream of country music.
After hearing Barker on “The Mornin’ Show” on WTVA, Estes befriended her on Facebook and asked her to speak to students at HLES.
“Barker’s hard work in school, her stellar grades, early graduation, and determination to make it in country music make her a role model for our students,” Estes said.
Barker encouraged students to not rely on talent alone, but to work hard by making good grades in school. She also sang several songs, including her current single, “Slow Town,” which is currently on country radio and iTunes.
“Never be afraid to chase your dreams. Hard work always beats talent,” Barker said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way April 17, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Three big days in Spring April 20, 2017
- Three busted for possession of meth April 20, 2017
- Ag Safety Day April 21, 2017
- Man convicted in Okolona shooting April 21, 2017
- Houston correcting SPED complaints April 24, 2017
- Dollar General Ribbon Cutting April 23, 2017
- Certified Nurse Assistance Class seeks applicants April 23, 2017
- WEDDING: Stone/Fisackerly April 23, 2017
- TEACHER OF THE WEEK! April 22, 2017
- Winford White: I totally disagree with your schools consolidation...
- Winford White: That is good News for Okolona. Or shall we say, it...
- Winford White: I strongly agree! if someone can afford to pay a T...
- Winford White: Keep up the good works Chickasaw County because th...
- Winford White: Winford White, CPC - Winford's Consulting : It is...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago