Houlka Wildcats win Division 4-1A Championship
TREMONT – The Houlka Wildcats held off a late surge from Tremont on Friday night for a 54-48 victory in the Division 4-1A tournament championship game.
Lewis Moore led the Wildcats with 14 points as Houlka fell behind early but shut out the Eagles in the second quarter to build as much as a 13-point lead in the second half.
Ada Zolesi, who finished with 15 points, brought Tremont back late with seven points down the stretch to narrow the gap to four, but Houlka held on.
“They were putting it where they needed to and we couldn’t stop it,” Houlka coach Guy McDonald said. “They had us shut down in the first quarter but we spread it out in the second and were able to drive it on them and we were able to create some holes and some shots.”
Tremont led 16-8 after the first quarter as Carlos Badal hit a couple of shots from the perimeter and Daniel Sturtivant was active in the paint. Houlka pressed in the second, however, and completely shut down the Eagle offense.
Big shots from Moore, as well as Jesse Kelly from the perimeter allowed the Wildcats to quickly close the gap and eventually take a 7-point lead into the break.
“I think the full-court defense kind of got them out of their rhythm and they made some unforced turnovers,” said McDonald. “We were really just stopping, trapping and getting back.”
Houlka increased its lead to double digits in the third. Tremont got to within four with less than a minute to play but the Wildcats were able to hit just enough free throws to put the game away and secure the title.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston hammering out employee handbook August 22, 2016
- County fire ratings drop August 25, 2016
- MBN makes drug arrest August 25, 2016
- Pontotoc rains on Houston August 25, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers struggle at plate August 25, 2016
- Cowboys’ veterans big fans of Prescott August 28, 2016
- Flywheel Festival seeks vendors August 28, 2016
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT MEETINGS August 27, 2016
- FOOTBALL SCORES: Week 2 August 27, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Migrants jump out of the melting pot August 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago