Man charged with murder
Authorities were initially called to a report of a car on fire near Pumphrey’s Grocery about 5:30 a.m., and their investigation led to a home at 1688 Highway 8 East and upon entry they found the body of a Chickasaw County woman.
“Firefighters found the car unoccupied, we checked to see who it was registered to and sheriff’s deputies went there on a welfare check,” said Chickasaw County Coroner Andy Harmon. “When officers got to the house, they found Amanda Porter, 23, of that address alone and the victim of an apparent stabbing.”
Harmon said authorities developed Porter’s husband, Will Porter, 28, as a suspect and he was detained about 30-minutes later.
“A weapon believed to have been used in the crime has been recovered,” said Harmon.
Harmon said Porter was pronounced dead at the scene and an autopsy was conducted Monday by the Mississippi Crime Lab in Jackson.
“Mr. Porter has been formally charged with murder and he is being held in the Chickasaw County Jail and no bond has been set,” said Harmon. “We have not determined a motive or all the details of this incident and it is still under investigation.”
Harmon did say Monday there are no other suspects in the case.
It is the county’s first homicide in almost two years.
“We had a homicide in Okolona in 2011 and things have been sort of quiet,” said Harmon. “This kind of crime doesn’t happen often around here and this has shocked the community.”
The Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department was assisted in their initial investigation by the Houston Fire Department and the Houston Police Department.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- AG, governor have same goal on internet sales November 29, 2016
- Una Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- REV. DARRICK WHITFIELD: How to be wise December 4, 2016
- DAVID HORN: We the people have voted for change December 4, 2016
- ICC Band Chickasaw December 6, 2016
- Hair- Kaylee Martin December 6, 2016
- Presents for prisoners December 6, 2016
- Rinehart enters Kappa Delta Pi December 5, 2016
- Locals named to ICC Workforce Council December 5, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago