TUPELO – Marie Woods, 85, died Monday, Feb. 25, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center after an extended illness. She was born Jan. 26, 1928, in Memphis to William Elihu and Lucy Smith Stewart.
She was a resident of Tupelo since 1963. She married Travis W. “Woody” Woods who preceded her in death May 30, 2001. She enjoyed conversation and spending time with her family, friends and grandchildren. She was an avid golfer and people person. Before her illness she was a longtime member of West Jackson Street Baptist Church. When she became homebound, she loved watching Dr. Forrest Sheffield on the Harrisburg Baptist Church TV Ministry.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at The Jefferson Street Chapel of W.E. Pegues with Dr. Forrest Sheffield and the Rev. Roger Smith officiating. Burial will be in Lee Memorial Park.
Survivors include two children, Deborah “Debbie” Stiles (Mike) of Tupelo and Mike Woods (Karan) of Dorsey; one sister, Ann Hampton of Trenton, Tenn.; one brother, Ronnie W. Hampton of Trenton, Tenn.; four grandchildren, Shanna Allred, and Robert, Stuart and Boomer Woods; and five great-grandchildren, Hunter Allred, and Memory, Anna, Alex and Shelby Woods.
She was preceded in death by her husband; her parents; two sisters, Maudine Campbell and Clatie Davis; and two brothers, Dan Hampton and Willie Stewart.
Pallbearers will be Robert, Stuart and Boomer Woods, and Hunter and Richard Allred.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
Memorials may be made to the NMMC Inpatient Hospice Unit, 830 S. Gloster St., Tupelo, MS 38801; Sanctuary Hospice House, P.O. Box 2177, Tupelo, MS 38803; or any charity of your choice in her honor.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago