Organ donor scholarship applications sought
The North Mississippi Donor Family Council of the Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency is seeking scholarship applications.
A minimum of four $500 scholarships will be awarded to graduating high school seniors and the deadline for submitting an application is April 1.
Application forms may be obtained through school counselors or by contacting the Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency at 662-841-1960.
“Our donor family council came up with the scholarship idea as a way to encourage awareness for organ and tissue donation,” said Ron Waterman, MORA Donor Family Council Coordinator. “Each year, council members personally raise all funds for the scholarship.”
In 2012 a total of five $500 scholarships were awarded to deserving seniors from area high schools.
“Donor families are extraordinary people, extremely invested in the benefits of donations,” said Waterman. “Their lives have been so impacted by organ and tissue donation that they want to educate and promote donor awareness to others, as well as honor their loved one’s legacy of life.”
Applicants must have a GPA of 2.5 or greater with acceptance to or plans of enrolling in the Fall of 2013 in a Mississippi institution of higher learning. Two letters or recommendation are required and a brief essay.
Scholarship winners will be announced in April at MORA’s annual donor recognition ceremony in Tupelo.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka buys body cams for PD August 24, 2016
- Work set for Tanglefoot pathway August 26, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Migrants jump out of the melting pot August 27, 2016
- FOOTBALL SCORES: Week 2 August 27, 2016
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT MEETINGS August 27, 2016
- Armyworms spotted in local fields August 30, 2016
- Money would fix city’s aging pipes August 29, 2016
- Political Season August 29, 2016
- Cowboys’ veterans big fans of Prescott August 28, 2016
- Flywheel Festival seeks vendors August 28, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago