Rev. James Lewis
RIPLEY – The Rev. James Aron Lewis, 78, went to be with the Lord on Monday, March 4, 2013. He was born on June 1, 1934, in Mantee and reared in Webster County.
He was saved at the age of 8 and called into the ministry and preached his first sermon at age 14. He was a graduate of Clarke College at Newton; Blue Mountain College and Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary at Wake Forest, N.C.. He completed 65 years in the ministry and served as a pastor for 55 years. He faithfully served as pastor of Horton Memorial Baptist Church, Pontotoc; Wallerville Baptist Church, New Albany; Northside Baptist Church, New Albany; Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, Creedmoor, N.C.; Wolf Pond Baptist Church, Pageland, S.C.; Sunset Road Baptist Church, Charlotte, N.C.; Blue Springs Baptist Church, Blue Springs; Academy Baptist Church, Blue Mountain; East Louisville Baptist Church, Louisville; Cherry Creek Baptist Church, Ecru; and Liberty Baptist Church, Pontotoc.
He was active in the Mississippi Baptist Convention, serving on the Executive Committee for six years in the late 1970’s, working with disaster relief and college development. He taught seminary extension courses through the Pontotoc County Baptist Association for 15 years and served as a hospice minister with the Northeast Mississippi Medical Center for 15 years.
A wonderful godly father, husband and grandfather, he had a huge impact on those around him and loved spending time with his family and encouraging others. He truly loved people and ministered to his congregations as God led him. He will be dearly missed.
Services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Cherry Creek Baptist Church. Bro. Roger Reeder, Bro. Gary L. Berry and Bro. George Steward will officiate. Burial will be at the Ecru Memorial Cemetery. McBride Funeral Home of Ripley is in charge of the arrangements.
He is survived by his wife of over 57 years, Melba Purdon Lewis; his children, Charlotte Ann Lewis Berry (Gary) of Belton, Mo., and James Allen Lewis (Staci) of Pontotoc; nine grandchildren, John Berry, Grant Berry and Sierra Berry, all of Belton, Mo., Brian Berry of Springfield, Mo., Amber Lewis and Andrea Lewis, both of Pontotoc, Bryce Akins, Brant Akins and Leigh Allison Akins, all of Ripley; two brothers, Clatie (Maxine) Lewis of Atlanta, Ga., and Raymond (Helen) Lewis of LaGrange, Texas; one sister, Martha Knudsen (Ray Barton) of Conroe, Texas; extended family, Erich and Joann Munn of Ripley, and Sean and Shelley Akins of Ripley.
He was preceded in death by his parents, John Terry and Martha Ann Shaffer Lewis; three brothers, Guy Lewis, Thurman Lewis and George Lewis; three sisters, Sarah Holland, Vera Lewis, and Florence Boyd; and his grandparents.
Memorials may be made to the Cherry Creek Baptist Church Building Fund, P.O. Box 603, Ecru MS, 38841.
A complete obituary will be published in the Wednesday, March 13, Chickasaw Journal.
Online expressions of sympathy and guest registry are available at www.mcbridefuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Poor graduation rates August 18, 2016
- Houston hammering out employee handbook August 22, 2016
- Houlka aldermen briefed on annexation August 22, 2016
- West Nile case reported in Chickasaw County August 22, 2016
- Houlka offers dual credit with ICC August 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Calling for help August 25, 2016
- Man arrested on drug charges August 24, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- Houlka buys body cams for PD August 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago