Henson graduates from Fire Academy
OKOLONA — Serving his community is Joseph Henson’s goal as Okolona’s newest firefighter.
Henson, an Okolona native, has taken a part-time post with the Okolona Fire Department after finishing his training at the Mississippi Fire Academy in February.
“I have been a volunteer firefighter and then I served a couple of tours in the Army,” said Henson. “After being overseas a couple of time I was ready to get back home and help the people I know as a firefighter.”
Henson said he got his first taste of a career as a firefighter as an Explorer with the local Boy Scout post. He said he became a volunteer, got a little training and started showing up for fires.
But Henson said his training at the state fire academy has greatly enhanced his ability to help the community and other firefighters.
“Going to a fire now, compared to when I was a volunteer, is like daylight and dark,” said Henson. “The fire academy training introduces you to so many different threats and shows you what to look for, how to respond and how to keep the public, yourself and fellow firefighters from getting hurt.”
The six-week training at the fire academy was heavy on safety and equipment training.
“I think the training in the heat building where you actually got to see and feel the flames was the best and most eye opening,” said Henson. “You need a healthy amount of fear to stay safe, but your training helps you overcome much of the fear and respond appropriately.”
Henson learned everything from fire characteristics and explosive threats to equipment care and use.
The training also included one week of hazardous material handling and fire suppression in both a highway and industrial setting.
Okolona Fire Chief Terry Tucker said it all boils down to training.
“When things get hot and start popping, you really have to rely on your training,” said Tucker. “And when you know the guy next to you is properly trained it allows you to do your job with more confidence.”
And Henson is no rookie to threats having served one tour in Iraq and two in Afghanistan as an Army scout.
Henson, 25, is the son of the Judy Henson and the late Johnny Henson. He still serves part-time with the Mississippi National Guard.
The Okolona Fire Department is made up of four full-time firefighters and three part-time firefighters. The department also has about 12 active volunteers.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- Houston drops two to Noxubee February 15, 2017
- BIRTH: Easton Rhett Dendy February 19, 2017
- BIRTH: Swayze Jo Flora February 19, 2017
- County ponders TRPDD alliance February 20, 2017
- One killed in wreck involving ambulance February 21, 2017
- Chickasaw man injured in Shannon wreck February 21, 2017
- Sirens to go off Wednesday for statwide tornado drill February 21, 2017
- ICC names Adult Learner scholars February 21, 2017
- WIN Center offers iPhone class February 21, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago