Three youth hurt in accident
PONTOTOC COUNTY – Three Chickasaw County young men were hurt in a one-vehicle accident Tuesday night on a rural road just inside Pontotoc County.
Pontotoc County Sheriff Leo Mask said the Chevrolet pickup truck the three were riding in was northbound on Wallfield Road near Gershorn Church when the driver apparently lost control of the vehicle.
Mask said he is not releasing the names of the juveniles, but said one was airlifted to North Mississippi Medical Center with an apparent broken back and the two others were transported by ambulance to local hospitals.
“We don’t know what if anything might have prompt the driver to lose control,” said Mask. “The truck went into the ditch and flipped a couple of times.”
Independent sources identified the youth as Joby Byars, 17, Sawyer Byars 15 and Walker Winters 15. Joby Byars was the young man transported by helicopter to Tupelo.
“They were the only vehicle involved in the accident and we haven’t had a chance to interview them at this time,” said Mask. “No citation has been issued.”
Mask said the accident is still under investigation and the Pontotoc County Sheriff’s Department was assisted at the scene by the Becker and Algoma volunteer fire departments and Pontotoc County EMTs.
Man fleeing arrest wrecks
TREBLOC — A man wanted by local authorities fled from a traffic stop Monday night and later wrecked his vehicle on Highway 47 prompting him to be airlifted from the scene.
A deputy with the Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department pulled over an older maroon Buick driven by Larry Guido, address unknown, and asked him to step out of the vehicle.
“He put the car back in gear and drove off down Highway 47,” said Chickasaw County Chief Deputy James Myers. “Our officer pursued him and actually lost sight of him. The officer then spotted debris in the road, turned around and found the accident.”
Myers said Guido’s vehicle apparently failed to negotiate a curve, left the road at a high rate of speed, struck a tree and Guido was ejected from the vehicle.
“We had received information Guido was in the area, he has warrants from Lee County and the Mississippi Department of Corrections was also looking for him,” said Chickasaw County Chief Deputy James Myers. “He was taken by helicopter to North Mississippi Medical Center.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- TOPPER PRIDE: Houston High School PTO forms, host fundraiser. November 25, 2016
- Egg Bowl notebook 2016 November 30, 2016
- Houlka leaning on veteran leadership November 30, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Shop local December 1, 2016
- Community gives thanks December 1, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- Dr. Willis named AAN Fellow December 2, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago