Small in stature but doing big things
Shady Grove Missionary Baptist Church
“Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise.”
When we want to view ourselves, when we want to view how well we are doing, often times we tend to look at our next door neighbor. We tend to compare ourselves to our siblings, we tend to compare ourselves to a co-worker but the Bible has stated that we all should observe the ways of a very small creature, small in stature, but if you give him just a little time, the ant will build a large mound that is strong enough to withstand mighty winds.
Animals sometimes show more wisdom than humans.
In our verse the ant is given as an example of wise conduct that is often lacking in mankind. In the Bible, a sluggard is not only the one who demonstrates a poor attitude about work responsibilities but is also one who demonstrates a poor attitude towards spiritual responsibilities. People will come to church late and then get upset if services go over a few minutes. But when it comes to something of importance to them, like fishing, golfing, hunting or at a sporting event, they will stay there all day, until the last buzzer has sounded.
The text says “Go to the ant . . . consider her ways.”
The ant ponders the future. The ant is concerned about the future; the future occupies much of his thinking. If the ant did not think about the future, he would die in the winter. Many folk do not think of the future spiritually. They live in the here-and-now and think nothing about the hereafter. When it comes to our eternal lives, we need to make up our minds, right now, and make Jesus our personal saviour. Because tomorrow is not promised.
In preparing for the future the ant does so early and earnestly. First, the ant prepares early. A few verses after our verse says the ant prepares for the winter in the summer time. He does not wait until the last day of summer to get started. Many folk do not think of spiritual preparation until their life is about over. Do not wait until you are a senior citizen before you think about eternity. Prepare now.
“Now is the day of salvation” (2-Corinthians 6:2).
If you delay your preparation, you may be caught unprepared. Second, the ant prepares earnestly. If you have ever watched an ant work, you know they work earnestly.
We live in a society that has a no-work attitude. It’s sad to see so many young folks walking the streets, walking around town with the notion to steal rather than to work for it. We can definitely learn from the ant. We can learn that when you work at something, that you can achieve and receive great rewards. I often times put a question on folks minds when I ask them, “Why would a person want to stay on welfare?”
When all you have to do is put God first in your life, work toward a better future, work toward a better education, work toward a better job and one day instead of being on welfare you can now fare well.
Bro. Darrick Whitfield is pastor of Shady Grove M.B. Church, McCondy. His devotional appears regularly on this website.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston FFA earns One Star Chapter award November 27, 2016
- Okolona airport lands grant December 1, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- Una Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- Houlka Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago