Houlka PD on a roll
Police Chief Ray Laney and Mayor Jimmy Kelly took receipt of two new patrol trucks in February as part of a planned and budgeted purchase to upgrade PD equipment. The newest car was acquired from the Waveland PD after upgrades of their own.
Laney said the quality of the car and any maintenance needed to put it on the road would be at a significantly less expense than trying to purchase even a reconditioned vehicle.
The Board of Aldermen were also informed of new lighting additions at their March 5 meeting.
Two new lights at the city park have been installed and one new light will shine on the local library, adding to security at both facilities.
In other business, the board:
• Took bids on the sewer project under advisement. Two bids were rejected due to incorrect filing of paperwork.
• Signed a miscellaneous contract with Cook Coggins Engineering to do minor projects and estimates that are not part of a larger contract. The agreement will be listed as a line item in billing by hours.
• Heard a proposal to raise the levee height at the west lagoon and add a pumping station for better waste water treatment
* Agreed to seek quotes on a city shop building to replace one that will be torn down. Part of the property on which the old shop is located has been sold to the Houlka Nazarene Church to be used for a Family Life Center. The old shop will be destroyed and a new metal building on a concrete slab with two roll-up doors and an entrance door is proposed for a replacement.
• Agreed to send David Ray to the Mississippi Rural Water Training seminar in March
* Agreed to purchase an advertisement in the Welcome to Chickasaw magazine
• Discussed complaints of vicious dogs running loose. No action was taken on the matter.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houston FFA earns One Star Chapter award November 27, 2016
- Okolona airport lands grant December 1, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- Una Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- Houlka Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago