Lady Rams turning a corner
VARDAMAN – The Lady Rams, like many other sports teams, didn’t have much downtime over spring break. The Vardaman girls hosted tournament March 14 and played in the Calhoun County tournament March 16, picking up two wins, one loss and one tie.
Coach Billy Dill is looking for his team to be strong going into district play.
“I hope we are starting to come around,” Dill said. “It seems like when the weather gets warmer, we start playing better so hopefully we can keep that up.”
The Lady Rams started off their own tournament strong with a 7-0 shutout of Water Valley. Grace Edmondson got the win on the hill and had multiple hits while Briana Wright had multiple hits with a double.
The girls faltered against South Pontotoc later in the day with errors costing them dearly.
The Lady Cougars took a four-run lead in the first inning off Kaitlyn Cox’s two-RBI double, followed by Katelyn Ferguson’s two-RBI homer. But the Lady Rams didn’t take it lying down.
In the bottom of the frame, Whittney Gee led off with a double off the center field fence and Laken Lucius reached on a pitching error. Cheyenne McKiney walked to load the bases and two passes balls scored Gee and courtesy runner, Jessica Rodgers. Wright walked and stole second to draw the throw and score McKiney and the Lady Rams closed the inning down by one at 4-3.
Tn the top of the fourth, the Lady Cougars added four more runs off a double by MacKeireie Denton and a triple by Breanna Kitchens. Lacey Higgins singled to score the fourth run.
Edmondson got out of the inning with a ground out, a fly out and a strike out.
But the Lady Rams couldn’t make up the difference, scoring only one run in the bottom of the fourth before the game was called for time limit, giving South the 8-4 win.
The Lady Rams headed to Calhoun City for tournament with Bruce and City, taking an 8-1 win over the Lady Trojans to start the day. Edmondson got the win from the mound and McKiney, Laci Jo Fugett and Wright all doubled.
The Lady Rams battled Calhoun City with the Lady Wildcats taking a 3-1 lead through the third and the Vardaman girls battling back to a draw through the fifth. An extra inning didn’t break the tie as each team scored and the time limit expired on a 5-5 tie.
Edmondson again got the nod for the win, while McKiney and Gee each had two RBI.
“I thought our pitching and fielding did real well last week and we got some good, timely hits,” Dill said. “If we pitch it and field it, we can win some games.”
The girls were scheduled for a rematch with Calhoun City Tuesday and will host Eupora March 21 and Houlka March 22.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Presents for prisoners December 6, 2016
- Hair- Kaylee Martin December 6, 2016
- ICC Band Chickasaw December 6, 2016
- Spencer named HHS Student of Month December 7, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week December 9, 2016
- Area students graduate ICC December 9, 2016
- Tis the season to recycle December 9, 2016
- Food For Families drop off is Friday December 8, 2016
- Chickasaw dodges storm December 8, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago