Huffman resigns from School Board
Huffman, who represents county voters in the Houston School District but who live outside the city limits tendered his resignation March 7 but will not officially step down until June 30.
”Though it saddens me to leave this role I have an amazing opportunity to continue the charge for educational excellence in my new role as a corps member with Teach For America,” said Huffman in a letter to the school board. “I have decided to trade the boardroom for a classroom. In my new role I will have a more hand’s on approach in the education realm by serving students in the Mississippi Delta.”
Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker said Huffman’s post is an elected position and the district has begun the process to fill that spot.
“Zack Huffman is a product of the Houston School District where he played center on the football team, was in community theater and excelled in academics,” said Huffman. “He is a fine young man and he will be missed by this school board and the district.”
Huffman was elected without opposition in 2011 to take the place of At-Large Trustee Gary Washington who chose not to run for the post. Huffman’s term will expire in 2016.
While a student at Ole Miss, Huffman routinely attended school board meeting via Skype and the internet.
Coker pointed out Huffman was very knowledgeable of technology and being a college student he brought a different perspective to the board.
Qualifed voters of the Houston At-Large school district should contact the Central Office for details about the school board election.
“I wish this board and district the best of luck in achieving the academic success that I know it will achieve,” said Huffman. “ I also hope that the integrity that this board maintains today will flourish with my successor’s appointment to serve out my remaining term. “
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago