Sanderson to retire June 30
Sanderson has informally said for some time he plans to retire and made the decision public to give the city time to hire a new City Clerk and smooth that person’s transition into the post.
“It has been a pleasure to work with you in the service of our city for these nearly ten years,” said Sanderson. “But now it’s time for me to hang up my adding machine.”
Sanderson urged the board to advertise for the post immediately and fill the post promptly.
“Lest the next municipal clerk come into the prolonged vacuum that occurred before I started,” said Sanderson. “I recommend that you advertise immediately in the April 10 and April 17 editions of the paper and accept applications through April 26.”
Sanderson said he would be glad to work with the mayor or any committee charged with picking the new clerk.
Sanderson laid out a timeline that would see the city pick the top five candidates for interviews, schedule a work session with the mayor and aldermen for early May and the hiring of a new clerk by the middle of May. Sanderson also informed the board he had vacation time that would need to be taken prior to June 30.
Sanderson suggested the board hire the new clerk as a deputy clerk for the interim period and then appoint that person as city clerk with other city officers at the scheduled July 2 board meeting.
“Again, I thank you for each courtesy you have shown me and I sincerely appreciate the opportunity I’ve had to contribute to life in my favorite city in the whole world,” said Sanderson.
The motion to accept Sanderson’s letter was made by Ward 1 Alderman Tony Uhiren and seconded by Ward 2 Alderman Shenia K. Jones. The vote was unanimous.
“I have only been here a few years but I appreciate what you do and what you have done,” said Uhiren. “You will be missed.”
The clerk’s post is charged with administering the day-to-day operations of the city under the direction of the Houston Board of Mayor and Aldermen. The clerk is responsible for developing a budget and monitoring revenue and disbursing checks for the city. The clerk is listed as the city’s agent of record on various grants, work projects and programs involving state and federal funds. The clerk also acts as the city’s personnel director and formally records all city board actions through board minutes.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Samford names Herrod to Dean’s List July 20, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago