Houston Homecoming set for June 29
July 4 falls on a Thursday this year and the Houston Homecoming committee had pondered hosting the annual event after Independence Day.
“We’ve always held it the Saturday before July 4th,” said Lanny Wilson, Homecoming chairman. “I checked as far back as I could – that was 10-years – and we’ve always held homecoming before July 4th.”
Several members of the committee pointed out many families plan vacations to Houston around Homecoming. The board unanimously voted for the June 29 date.
And while the timing of Homecoming won’t change, other details of the giant block party will.
“We still have to find a spot to shoot the fireworks,” said Wilson. “We also need to start nailing down who we want to be our entertainment for the evening.”
The construction of a telephone tower on a vacant lot on Monroe Street in September has the committee looking for a new location to launch fireworks.
“I think there are a couple of places we can choose from,” said Wilson. “We can decide that closer to time, but we do need to start thinking about it and then get the Ok to do it.”
Wilson also said groups and singers will start booking July 4th weekend gigs and Houston needs to sign their main act and secondary entertainers.
“I like to have a gospel group, a solo act and a local group,” said Wilson. “We need to sort of determine what kind of entertainment suits everyone the best. We also need to book this group soon.”
Committee chairmen have already started soliciting donations for this year’s event.
The Houston Homecoming Committee did agree to the following lineup for this year’s event.
- 4:45 p.m.- Veteran and Children’s Parade.
- 5 p.m. – Vendors open booths.
- 5 p.m. – Entertainment begins.
- 9:15 p.m. – Fireworks.
- 10 p.m. – Event closes.
The next planning committee meeting will be May 7th at 5:15 p.m. at Houston Civic Center.
For more information about Houston Homecoming 2013 call the Chickasaw Development Foundation at 456-2321.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago