WEST POINT – John Clifton Gable, 78, passed away on Wednesday, April 24, 2013, at Sanctuary Hospice House, in Tupelo. He was born Feb. 13, 1935, in Vardaman to Mattie Virginia McCullough and Waites Gable. He was a member of First United Methodist Church. He worked with USF&G Insurance Company for 36 years as an adjuster in Natchez, Greenwood, Greenville, Jackson and the state office in Meridian, serving as claims supervisor until his retirement in 1992. He was a graduate of the University of Mississippi, where he was a member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity and the Phi Sigma Pi Honor Scholarship Fraternity. He served in the Mississippi Army National Guard 223rd Engineer Battalion, when he was called to active duty during the Berlin Crisis. He married Kay Low Gable on June 16, 1963.
Memorial services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel in West Point with the Rev. Jeff Shannon officiating. Burial will be made in Greenwood Cemetery at West Point. Calvert Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include wife of 50 years, Kay Low Gable of West Point; one daughter, Kelly Gable Conway, and one granddaughter, Claire Elizabeth Conway, both of Tupelo; three sisters-in-law, Sandra McGaugh (Boyd) of Greenville, Judy Cannon (James) of Greensborough, Ga., and Penny Crowson of Tupelo.
Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, P.O. Box 1818, Memphis, TN 38101 or to Sanctuary Hospice House, P.O. Box 2177, Tupelo, MS 38803.
Visitation will be from 1 p.m. until service time Saturday at Calvert Funeral Home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago