Swinging toward State
Houston tennis players head to Jackson Thursday
By Lisa Voyles
HOUSTON – The Houston High School tennis team just completed a ver positive season and five players aren’t finished yet.
The Toppers were undefeated in district team play and clinched their district championship title. Although they did not make it past the first round of playoffs as a group, five members will continue on to the State playoffs in individual events.
MaKayla Pullen and Chapman Boyer will compete in mixed doubles, Walt Harrington and Emmitt Dendy will play in boy’s doubles and Chase Eldridge will take the court in boy’s singles Thursday at the Ridgeland Tennis Center.
Coach Robert Winters was complimentary of the players moving on to State and the whole team overall.
“We had a good year, won our district and hosted first round of playoffs,” Winter said. “We have more going to State than last year and that’s good. Hopefully that will build and be more next year, too.”
Harrington and Dendy made the trip last year as did Pullen and Nikki Baird in girl’s doubles.
The Topper Tennis team plays boy’s and girl’s singles, boy’s and girl’s doubles, 1 and 2 and mixed doubles during the regular season.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Demanding excellence October 20, 2016
- BREAST CANCER: Know your foe October 24, 2016
- Houston seeks to improve attendance October 24, 2016
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way October 25, 2016
- Smithville rolls over Vardaman October 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Red Ribbon Week October 26, 2016
- Art in the Park is Thursday October 26, 2016
- Red Ribbon Week October 26, 2016
- Houlka fights to end against Biggersville October 26, 2016
- Lady Toppers close successful season October 26, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago