EDITORIAL: Waiting Our Turn
News that Clay County and West Point are poised to land a massive automobile tire factory is good news.
A special session last week brought details of the deal to the public and apparently local, state and even national leaders have been working on this project for some time. The Yokohama Tire Company is expected to employ up to 500 by 2015 and could provide up to 2,000 jobs at full capacity. The state is putting up $130 million in incentives and company officials have said jobs at the West Point plant will pay about $35,000 a year.
We are glad to see them land just 30 miles from the Chickasaw County line. We have a good labor force in Chickasaw County and there is no doubt many local workers will be hired and then make the daily drive to West Point. They will bring their paychecks home to spend in local businesses.
Certainly this newspaper would have loved to see this plant locate in Chickasaw County. But we will have to wait our turn.
A wise local economic developer once said attracting factories and jobs to a region is a team sport. His point was, in this global market, it takes a lot of help from a lot of different places to make a company pick your site. We hope someone in this community was influential in helping Yokohama come to Clay County.
Yes, we would like to point to the Okolona Mega Site as the perfect spot for the next major employer in Northeast Mississippi.
The Okolona Mega Site has access to both rail and four-lane highways. It is not far from major electricity transmission lines. It looks like West Point’s site had the edge in water and sewer and this was a tipping point for an industry that uses a lot of both.
Again, with proper development and proper marketing, our time will come. Chickasaw County probably missed being a better spot for the Yokohama deal by about a year.
The hiring of a three-county regional economic developer last fall, funded by city and county governments in Chickasaw, Union and Pontotoc counties seems like a better decision now that Yokohama has made their intentions known.
As Toyota in Blue Springs and Nissan near Jackson continue to attract suppliers to Mississippi, we need to be ready to move as a team when our time comes.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona battles but nipped by Wolverines October 19, 2016
- WEDDING: Nichols/Moss October 23, 2016
- BIRTH: Kinsely Brooke Dodd October 23, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Lawmakers “examine” MAEP funding October 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: The killing of public education October 23, 2016
- Toppers ready for Noxubee October 25, 2016
- AP POLL: Mississippi High School Football Rankings, Oct. 25 October 25, 2016
- Collision kills two near Vardaman October 25, 2016
- MSU names Summer 2016 graduates October 25, 2016
- Smithville rolls over Vardaman October 25, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago