Raymond Montgomery Sr.
PONTOTOC – Raymond Furr Montgomery Sr., 90, died Friday, May 3, 2013, at Sunshine Health Care.
He was a World War II Army Veteran, Private First Class Headquarters Battery – 109th Field Artillery Battalion Battles and Campaigns: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes, Central Europe, Battle of the Bulge, Bastonge, Germany.
A recent found newpaper article from 1945 summaries Mr. Montgomery’s fight for his country: “Private first class Raymond F. Montgomery, son of Mr. and Mrs. Victor Montgomery, Pontotoc, is enroute home from the Eurpean Theatre of Operations with the veteran 28th :Bloddy Bucket” Division, which in eight months saw vicious combat action from Normandy’s hedgerows to the heart of the Reich. His unit left Germany July 5th for Camp Pittsburgh, an assembly area in France, and is homeward bound from there. After battling across Normandy, Pfc. Montgomery and his unit paraded through Paris, then went east through Belgium and Luxenbourg and smashed into the Siegfried Line and into Germany. It fought in Hurtgen Forest in November and in December caught the full force of the Ardennes offensive and later helped liberate Colmar in Alsace and drive to the Rhine. Pfc. Montgomery wears five battle stars on his FTO ribbon, has been awarded the Good Conduct Medal, his unit commended for beach landings and spearheading into Belgium. His wife is the former Sue McGee, of Houlka.”
He was retired from Kimberly Clark Corporation after 36 years of dedicated service. He was fond of saying that he was never late for work. He especially liked to remind his three sons of his punctuality. He was a former Sunday school teacher at Leawood Baptist Churchin Memphis, Tenn.
Service is at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home with Dr. Ken Hester officiating. Interment is at Pontotoc City Cemetery.
He is survived by his wife of 71 years, Mary Sue Montgomery; children, Raymond F. Montgomery Jr. (Oleta), W. Herbert Montgomery (Diane) and James D. Montgomery (Eileen); grandchildren, Monty Montgomery, Marty Montgomery, Barry Montgomery, Kevin Montgomery, Trevor Schlafer, Lee Montgomery, Tonya Montgomery, Tallie Montgomery and Dan Ostenski; 12 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.
He is preceded in death by brother, Mack Montgomery; parents, Mary Illa Montgomery and Victor Barron Montgomery.
Pallbearers are Mike Montgomery, Kevin Montgomery, Barry Montgomery, Monty Montgomery, Lee Montgomery and Trevor Schlafer.
Visitation is 4 to 8 p.m. Monday and 1 to 2 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- ICC offers manufacturing program July 20, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Hebron honors hoop champions July 22, 2016
- Houston, Houlka, Okolona districts get “C” July 22, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago