Green, Shird graduate Superintendent Academy
OKOLONA – The MSBA Prospective Superintendent Leadership Academy (PSLA) has successfully concluded its first year with two administrators from Okolona graduating the class.
Okolona Superintendent Dexter Green and Dr. Loretta Shird, Coordinator of Federal Programs for Okolona schools were among a total of 22 administrators from 17 school districts who completed PSLA requirements.
The training allowed Green and Shirt to earn their Certificate of Completion, which was presented during the last class meeting on April 18, in Jackson.
“This inaugural class is an impressive group of future leaders in our state,” stated Dr. Mike Waldrop, MSBA Executive Director.” He added that “The next class has a high benchmark to strive for but we know they will be up to the challenge.”
Mississippi has more than 200 superintendent positions in the state’s 82 counties and finding trained and qualified education professionals can be a concern for some districts. The MSBA Prospective Superintendent Leadership Academy is designed to help fill that need.
“We could not be more pleased with the educational excellence and professional qualities exhibited by the Academy members,” stated Denotris Jackson, MSBA Director of Policy Advocacy and PSLA Advisor. “We are grateful for what they, along with the faculty, contributed to each class session,” she added.
The MSBA Prospective Superintendent Leadership Academy is a professional development program designed to prepare potential candidates for the challenging position of superintendent in Mississippi’s public schools.
The Academy provides a minimum of 30 hours of intensive study in the areas of the superintendent’s role; legal issues; state accountability and accreditation; ethics law; school board meetings; data-based decision making; school finance and insurance; personnel, community relations; team building; and governing by policy.
Academy graduates are:
· Dr. Robin R. Ballard, Assistant Superintendent, Lowndes County
· C. Jermaine Brown, Director of Student Services, Biloxi
· Dr. Deadra Cassell, Director of Curriculum / Professional Development, West Jasper
· Bernard Stephen Chandler, Superintendent, Tunica County
· Debra Dace, Ph. D., Curriculum / Testing Coordinator, Tunica County
· Valarie Davis, Ed. D., Principal, Coahoma County
· Dexter T. Green, former Principal, Tunica County, newly appointed Superintendent, Okolona
· Toriano Holloway, Ph. D., Assistant Superintendent, Starkville
· Vikki Landry, Director of Federal Programs, Bay St. Louis Waveland
· Dr. June B. Leigh, Director of Curriculum, Professional Development and Assessment, Aberdeen
· Dr. Wendy McCullough, Adjunct Professor, East Mississippi Community College
· Dr. Karen R. Norwood, Assistant Superintendent, Biloxi
· Alan Oubre, Ph. D., Executive Director of Student Support, Hattiesburg
· Eddie J. Peasant, Ed. D., Principal, Clinton
· Dr. Dorothy Lynn Prestwich, Assistant Superintendent, Clarksdale
· Jason N. Sargent, Ph. D., Executive Director, Office of Research, Evaluation and Assessment, Jackson
· Craig A. Shannon, Deputy Superintendent, Columbus
· Dr. Loretta Shird, Coordinator of Federal Programs, Okolona
· Christine D. Spinks, Assistant Superintendent, Long Beach
· Larry H. Watson, Director of Federal Programs / SPED, Winona
· Christopher J. Williams, Sr., Ph. D., Principal, Jackson County; newly appointed Assistant Superintendent, Ocean Springs
· Dr. Janice Wilson, Assistant Superintendent, Biloxi
Dates for the next PSLA will be announced over the summer.
The Mission of the Mississippi School Boards Association is to ensure quality school board performance through advocacy, technical assistance, board development and information dissemination.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago