HOUSTON – As voters filed into the civic center in Houston to cast their ballots, they had to chose a party affiliation and then locate their ward.
The civic center was filled with tables designating wards and plenty of poll workers were on hand to assist. This year, several new faces were in place as well.
Caroline Sullivan, Nicole Moore, Brittany Gates and Emily Thompson served as pollworkers for the first time this election and were glad to be of service.
“I thought it would be a great experience,” Sullivan said.”I did learn a few things about the election process I didn’t know.”
Moore volunteered when she heard the commission was looking for more poll workers for this election. She said she feels voting is important to her community and wanted to get involved.
“I want to get more active in community service and more involved in the politics of our city,” Moore said. “I think it was worth it becuase I did see and learn the process of the voting procedure.”
Gates is graduating Mississippi State University this month and responded to the call for volunteers.
“I agreed to do it because I knew it was something I had never done before and it was to help the community,” Gates said. “I really enjoyed myself even though it was a long day. At the end of the day I knew I was a lot of help to my team. I learned not only about the election but more about the people in my community.”
Sullivan agreed that volunteering was time well spent.
“I was definietly a long day,” Sullivan said. “It was well worth it.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Giving your very best July 18, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago