Close races decided in Okolona primary
OKOLONA – Okolona’s race for mayor came down to the wire, with absentee ballots determing the winner in a close contest.
At the close of voting, former Mayor Sherman Carouthers led incumbent Mayor Louise Cole, 455-450, but once absentees and affadavits were counted and certified, Cole had retained her seat by a margin of 507-477.
In Ward One, incumbent Kenneth McVay won over Leander Wilson, 96-56, and incumbent Bennett Moore won over challenger Judy Nicholes, 115-41.
Former Councilman Mary Gates reclaimed the seat in Ward Five over Robert “Matt” Hughes, 96-84.
Anthony Floyd retained his seat in Ward Six uncontested as did Eldridge Lowe in Ward Three.
A run-off will be needed in Ward Four as neither of the top two challengers, Regina Pickens nor Teresa Price gained a 50 percent majority. Imogene Armstrong led in votes but will not be listed on the ballot at the General Election. Armstrong was a member of the Democratic Executive Committee when she qualified as a candidate for Ward Four and did not resign her position on the committee by the January 1, 2013 deadline. Juanita Head of the committee said Armstrong and the committee tried to resolve the issue, but the deadline was not flexible.
“It all came back to the fact of the January 1 deadline,” Head said.
Mississippi State Code 23-15-217 does not allow a member of the Executive Committee to run for office until that person has resigned from the committee.
Pickens and Price will be on the ballot for General Election June 4.
In the City Marshal’s race, incumbent Tommie Ivy, Sr., was defeated by challenger Willie C. Moore, 529-458.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- Spencer named HHS Student of Month December 7, 2016
- Bulldogs make St. Petersburg Bowl December 7, 2016
- Houston falters against Cal. City December 7, 2016
- The men in charge December 7, 2016
- Margaret Hollingsworth recipes December 10, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: What color is homelessness? December 10, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week December 9, 2016
- Area students graduate ICC December 9, 2016
- Tis the season to recycle December 9, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago