Fatality reported in Wednesday night accident
Five people were also transported to local hospitals, including a six-month-old infant, following the three-vehicle wreck that blocked the highway for a little more than an hour.
“Around 11:30 PM a west-bound black, 2001 Nissan Maxima driven by 19-year-old Keana Brown, from Nettleton, was traveling west on Egypt Road,” said Cpl. Criss Turnipseed, spokesman for the Mississippi Highway Patrol. “The Maxima experienced a mechanical issue as it attempted to cross US 45 Alt. and stalled in the south bound lanes.
Turnipseed said a white, 1999 Honda Accord driven by Alisha Hunter, 28, from West Point was traveling south on Hwy. 45 and struck the Maxima.
“The Accord came to rest on the shoulder of the highway after the collision,” said Turnipseed. “A south-bound red, 2000 Freightliner driven by 58 year old male from Nacogdoches, Texas was attempting to avoid the Maxima and overturned.”
Turnipseed said the Freightliner then collided with both the Maxima and the Accord.
“The driver of the Freightliner was pronounced dead at the scene by the Chickasaw County Coroner,” said Turnipseed. “Ms. Hunter, the driver of the Accord, was transported to NMMC for treatment of moderate injuries.”
Turnipseed said Brown and three other passengers, including the six-month-old were driven by a privately owned vehicle to Pioneer Medical Center in Aberdeen. He said the infant was later sent to Lebonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis.
“We are not relasing the name of the 18-wheeler driver, pending notification of next of kin in Texas,” said Turnipseed. “The accident is still under investigation by the Mississippi Highway Patrol.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Tiny Houses July 16, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Hebron honors hoop champions July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago